Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Suspect Parents are Lying

Morning Ladies,

I have a family who's 15 month old has been in my care for 6 months now. He recently developed a bad rash all over his body. The parents are saying its an allergic reaction to soap that they used. I now have another parent texting me to say that he son is now covered in a rash that was diagnosed as infantigo and he requires antibiotics.

I'm now thinking parents of 15 month old never took their child to a DR. to determine if the rash was just an allergy and that now he has exposed 5 other children to what the health dept says is highly contagious...ugh...s hould I confront them? The Mom is a nurse who works in isolation A LOT so I've always had concerns but now I'm thinking they flat out lied to me and sent him with something contagious anyways....WWYD?

Outgoing
    I would just tell them that since another child in your care has this, that you need them to resee a Dr to check him out and bring you a letter from the Dr stating what it is for the protection of that child and all the others.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A google search will bring up images of what the rash looks likes. Being a nurse she likely just assume it was a reaction and never thought about a disease since she didn't think he had come in contact with one. I would be calling them to come and get the child immediately and that he can no return to care till the rash is gone regardless of what the cause is. Let them know what another child in care has and that it is important that they get their child checked out because he will need medication if that is what he has.

At this point I wouldnt' let on their child started it. Let them be angry enough to take the child to the doctor so they can come back and say yes their child has it too - THEN you can tell them they started it.

I agree I would want a reentry note saying he was not communicable and if it turns out he has it to I would discuss with his parents than the importance of ensuring a rash is not a disease!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Agreed. He MUST see and be cleared with a doctor's note. The thing about impetigo is that it is still contagious as long as there are blisters present, and this means from hands, objects the child has touched, and even clothing. Nasty, nasty. and VERY contagious. Michelle, you're going to have to do a thorough and aggressive disinfection of your day home, girl. I don't envy you!

Euphoric !
    Oh no, I would also disinfect like crazy. I don't think you can do anything with the original family who obviously brought in the contagion except to watch them for the next time they try to get away with a trick like this. Live and learn but sometimes we can't correct the thing that just happened but can definitely correct it quickly the next time.

I like playfelt's suggestion.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by gcj View Post
    I would just tell them that since another child in your care has this, that you need them to resee a Dr to check him out and bring you a letter from the Dr stating what it is for the protection of that child and all the others.
    Exactly this. And don't be "nicey-nicey" about it, either. I mean, you don't need to be a cow, but ensure that they understand you mean business!!
    Impetigo is INSANELY contagious and needs to medication, to the best of my knowledge to get rid of it. As a nurse, the mom should really have seen this as an issue? I am surprised. So either they did, indeed, bring him all the while knowing. To this, I would say goodbye! But I don't suppose that you have any way of knowing for sure. Could be just REALLY irresponsible/ignorant parenting. Grrrrr.