Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy
    I always give receipts but I notice that couple of the parents write on the memo line of their cheques - daycare fee for period so and so - which I guess is a precaution in case receipts werent provided. But Giraffe is right childcare expenses can be claimed without the receipt just make sure you have records of payment for when Rev Canada request proof.
    I have never given out my sin # on my receipts to the parents but one parent got audited after 5 years of doing this and she asked for it, I gave it to her no problem. Just politely asked her to disposed of this information securely as soon as she gives it to her Accountant.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Sparkles View Post
    I have never given out my sin # on my receipts to the parents but one parent got audited after 5 years of doing this and she asked for it, I gave it to her no problem. Just politely asked her to disposed of this information securely as soon as she gives it to her Accountant.
    4Sparkles, you have to give you SIN number to families unless you have a BIN number. I couldn't find the information online so I can't 100% confirm my source or my information, but to my knowledge you can be fined up to $1000 per receipt that does not include your SIN #. So please be careful, I am sure it can add up quickly. It is in the best interest of the parent if they have your SIN because some accountants won't file the childcare expenses until they do have the SIN #.

I agree 100% that I HATE having parents having my SIN, so I went and got my BIN so I would never have to give out my SIN. If you are worried about the safety of your SIN, then it might be worth the few dollars to get your BIN.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tot-Time For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Yikes!!! Thanks for the info. Nicole. I am greatful.

Shy
    I refuse to give out my sin # its under the privacy act

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy-Jenn View Post
    http://www.priv.gc.ca/fs-fi/02_05_d_02_e.cfm

I haven't finished reading the whole page but it does clearly state that for the purpose of income your SIN # can legally be asked for. In Ontario, don't know about other provinces, as far as I know, it is illegal not to include your SIN # on your childcare receipts. Just be cautious if you choose not include your SIN # on your receipt or ask Revenue Canada to clarify whether or not you have to include you SIN #.
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy-Jenn View Post
    I don't provide mine either...never have. If the government needs to check things out, they can call me to get it. It is not needed to do your taxes.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

The reasoning is by providing your SIN # the govn't knows that you are not trying to scam by not claiming all your income. Without your SIN # how can the govn't connect you to the daycare family? Without your SIN # the family if audited cannot claim childcare costs. To my knowledge, if you are caught not providing your SIN # to families then you can be fined, is it worth the risk? I think I read about the fines in one of the CCPRN articles last year about this time, if anyone keeps their CCPRN newsletters you might be able to confirm the info

There are options ... I am very set against giving my SIN # to families and won't do it. It isn't that I don't trust my dc families but it is who may come into contact with their financial records ... So the option is to spend $75 and get your BIN #. This replaces your SIN # and you run no risks of incuring fines due to not including your SIN #. With my BIN #, I filed my business name, my address, my SIN #, and maybe a few other bits and pieces of information. Now, if a family gets a hold of my BIN # all it means is they have information pertaining to my business vs personal stuff.
    www.nicolestot-time.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tot-Time For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I've never heard or read (and I've done a lot of looking into this) of any fines incuring for not supplying your SIN number. All my families have been just fine filing taxes without my SIN. As long as they have your business name, your name and phone number it is fine.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I've never heard or read (and I've done a lot of looking into this) of any fines incuring for not supplying your SIN number. All my families have been just fine filing taxes without my SIN. As long as they have your business name, your name and phone number it is fine.
    It could be a provincial difference. Here I have had tax consultants call me for it because families can't file without it and I have had families who attempted to claim their childcare costs but couldn't until they had my SIN#.

Here is a sample of a receipt from Revenue Canada which includes the SIN # as a manditory criteria.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...rcpts-eng.html

Definitely just be cautious what is needed for your area because each area can have different policies I guess
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Shy
    My mom is an accountant and she always does my taxes and I have never given out my sin number.She told me I don't have to. Like the a previous poster if someone was audited and absolutely needed it then I would provide it. I am not comfortable just handing it out to anyone, None of my parents have ever asked. I have given my daycare a business name but it does not need to be registered since I don't make enough. So on my receipt it says my daycare name and address and then down below how much the daycare service was and for how long and at the bottom it just says Paid in full thank you. When I was on the other end and was a parent, my DCP didn't put hers down either.