Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

New to this and loving it!

Hello!

I'm a new daycare provider and I am absolutely loving doing daycare and I'm really enjoying all the information I'm finding on these forums! Every single question I have had in the past few weeks I have found already asked and answered on here.

A little about myself... I'm a mom of a 12 month old and 3 year old and I've already got 2 full timers and a part time kid in my daycare. I started a daycare because honestly I couldn't find a provider in my school district that 1. had 2 spaces for both my kiddos 2. had long enough hours to accommodate my commute and 3. provided real/healthy food for the kids (when the sample menus are all processed junk foods you can bet dollars to donuts that's what the kids will be given... sad!). So, after some math (daycare vs. working full time) and a lot of thinking about what would ultimately be best for our family I decided to not go back to work after my maternity leave. So far I am not regretting that decision one little bit!

I'm really hoping I can get one more full time child to bring us up financially where we would like to be. When my son goes to JK in September I'll be opening up another space.

Hope to get to know a few of you on here as I'm sure more questions will come up as I go

Jennifer

Euphoric !
    Welcome Jennifer!
    All of the reasons you listed are why most of us have chosen this career!
    I have found this forum immensely helpful in many ways, and hope you do too.

Hi Jennifer! So glad you made a great choice for yourself and your family. I similarly started home daycare when I couldn't find anyone to do before and after school care for my three monkeys, and realized that I could likely make more money staying home than commuting half an hour a day to a job that I wasn't particularly keen on to begin with.

I also LOVE it. I can't believe I haven't been doing this all along!

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you enjoy the board. I do!

Euphoric !
    Welcome Jennifer and it sounds like you are doing well in your first year in business, so that's great!

Welcome Jennifer!

I am relatively new to the forum and loving it too ... but am not new to the field I worked for 17 years in 'centre care' before realizing that I could achieve better work life balance while providing a program more attune with my philosophies at home .. I have been at home for 5 years now and loving every minute of it!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Hello and welcome! I'm a fairly new providor as well (8 months in and still standing); a decision I came to from a desire to stay home with our last child, who is now 2. And boy has that had it's challenges from the 'June Cleaver' scenario I had in my head. I imagined all this quality time with my 2 year old, who with other children to play with I would have time to bake and clean and organize. I had our days and activities planned out to the minute! But, suddenly your child (& family) has to share their space, their toys, their illnesses and you! After a few bumps in the road are now a happy and well adjusted family and I am honestly wondering why I didn't do this much sooner. My husband is a teacher as are all of the parents of my daycare kids (I'm fortunate to have been full from the beginning; I currently provide care for 5). So, that we now have summers and holidays off together as a family is such a blessing!). This is a wonderful forum to share our ideas or to just vent! My little ones often teach me so much more in a day than I teach them.
    Last edited by Dreamalittledream; 03-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~