Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing Hours

Shy

Changing Hours

I decided to change the hours of my dayhome starting May. I'm doing this for a number of reason, currently my hours are just too long and I have families that take advantage of this and my flexibility, and most importantly my time with my own child is suffering which is something that bothers me especially since I started my dayhome so that I could spend more time with him. How far in advance would you advise parents of the change? I know I will lose a few families but they are currently families/children that I have been having problems with so their departure will not be a bad thing. In my contract I have stated that I will give at least 2 weeks notice for termination so I figure if I advise families a month before the change that should be sufficient enough time. Do you think 4 weeks notice is enough or should I tell them sooner?

Thanks

Expansive...
    Personally I would give them more than 4 weeks because it can be hard for those who do need long hours to find a daycare that offers them those hours. I would say around 6-8 weeks. I guess that means I would tell them pretty much as of next week since you already know what day you want it to take effect in May.

I hope it goes smoothly and that you enjoy the extra breathing room of shorter hours. My hat goes off to anyone who does offer more than 10 hours because that is a looooooong day. I think enjoying the time with your own kids is great

I think 4-6 weeks is fair. I recently did this too, but my family who stays late is leaving, and I have chosen just not to take anyone who needs care past 5.

Euphoric !
    I have gone the route of Alphagetti...I changed my closing hours to 5 for all new families, but I have one original family who needed 5:30 so I didn't change it for them...they are usually here by 5:15 though so I am finding it much better. For a change I would say 4-8 weeks though.

Euphoric !
    Since you know that you are going to be changing your hours I would be letting them know now by handing out a one page addendum to the contract that states effective XXXXX date the hours of care available at XXXXX daycare will be changing. You may select up to 10 hours within the following parameters - no earlier than XXXXAM and no later than XXXXPM. A late fee will be enforced. The bottom portion of this form must be signed and returned to me by XXXXX date to secure your space in my daycare at the new hours selected.

Then include for them to choose a start time, an end time, sign that they are aware what the late fee will be and also that after three late arrivals either the fee doubles for the fourth and future infractions or they are terminated your choid - a half hour at double time and then using the money to treat your child to pizza and ice cream isn't bad either.

Doing this now gives you the chance to find out right away which families aren't planning to stay.

Your other option is to simply speak directly to the families that are later and let them know what you are needing to do. Basically what you are doing is giving them notice based on your understanding that you are unable to meet their needs as of the change date. That gives them plenty of time to find alternate care. Remind them that care will be available till the date and that they need to give you whatever your notice period is when they have made their new choice.

At the same time if they come back to you and say ok we have it worked out we can change who drops off and picks up and we can work within the new hours then you are somewhat obligated to let them but if they are unhappy they will jump at the chance to move on.

Waiting too long to advise of the changes also delays the time you have to advertise to fill the spaces.

Euphoric !
    I renew my contract annually and any time I want to make a change that is when I do it. I did change my opening hours from 7am to 7:30am last year, but it was because the families who needed 7am left and it gave me an opportunity to make the change. However, I have always insisted on a maximum 9 hour day with a late/early fee too. I always send out a letter about 2 months before my contract renews to tell my daycare families the major changes that are coming up in the renewal contract.

My contract states 60 days notice be given to any change - so about eight weeks.... I agree that is a fair amount of time to find 'alternate' care if they cannot navigate the changes to the contract!

I use to be open 11 hours with my fees set at anything more than 4 hours was a full day fee and a max full day was 'recommended' to be a 9 hour day cause any longer was hard on kids ... and the longer I was open the more people started leaving their kids longer and longer to the full 'max' who did not NEED it like my SAHM clients for example... and well I got BURN OUT having a full house ALL DAY LONG with no quiet time where ratios might be 1:1 or 1:2 and feeling taken advantage of and well bad for these poor kids who were spending 50 hours a week away from their parents when it was not NEEDED.

So I also changed my hours to 7:30 - 4:30 which is the 'nine hours' in the midst of the day and than offered 'extended hour' care to those who need it at an additional FEE on top of those nine hours I am working cause overtime fees over 'nine hours' seemed FAIR to me like in any other job if you work longer hours and those extra hours only as 'available and contracted' so you cannot just show up LATE and expect it to be ok cause other kids might still be here .... I find that the extra fee really limits people who use the extra care just cause it is THERE and they think it is just 'easier' to leave the kid in care than to take them to run an errand after work and so forth....when I first opened I had clients whose child was here from 7:30 - until 5:30 because mom worked 8-5 and needed transportation time too and from work and so forth and initially I was OPEN so I did not charge anything different. When I changed things to reflect a FEE for that additional hour over the nine I was 'open for program' suddenly it was 'more economical' to invest in a second car seat and have the DAD assist in pick up - so mom dropped off and dad picked up before 4:00 and on the RARE occasion where dad had to work overtime too they 'prearranged' for the longer day and only paid the extended fee for that specific need.... this allowed the wee one to have a good hour and a half at home with dad for some bonding time it was win win for everyone but if I had not FORCED them to make that change by making it CHEAPER for them that child would have stayed here 10 hours a day!

My point is that MOST clients can arrange to be within a shorter time frame ... however to be realistic you will have to accept that you might LOOSE some of your clients who truly CANNOT ... if you have single parents working a fixed 9 hour day and without family to help with pick up and drop off and so forth?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm letting my families know tommorow. The suggestion of a document that they need to sign is an excellent idea, I would have never thought of that. I know I will probably lose 1-2 families but I"m okay with that.