Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

#2 in underwear...

I have a new little sweetheart that just started today! No tears, all around bubbly, chatty girl. Cute as a button! She will be 3 this spring and ha been toilet training for quite some time now, she has absolutely no pee accidents, however sh's already pooped in her underwear twice today. I understand that going #2 on the toilet is usually the last to be figured out and she will eventually on her own time, but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice/hints/tricks to encourage her to get "there" faster? lol. Not that I don't LOVE cleaning crap out of underwear... Mom warned me in advance that she does this every day at hom as well.

P.S. She doesn't care one bit when she does, ha!

Euphoric !
    Honestly, if she poops in her underwear every day, she is not trained! I would require her to wear a pull-up until she is fully trained. There is no way I would be changing poopy underwear every day. It is messy and disgusting and takes way too much time and effort while trying to watch the other kids.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Hmmm - ya the poops are the hardest to master for sure ... if she has master the peeing all day and this is the only challenge I personally would keep her in underwear cause if you put her back in a diaper or pull up she WILL pee in it again and take a step backwards in that component of training.

Are you using a 'potty' or the toilet with a training ring on it for them .... some kids cannot poop in the toilet cause the 'dropping' out of their bodies into the water freaks them out and they 'tense up' so cannot relax to poop - however they have more success on a potty where the 'fall' is shorter and no 'splash' and so forth?

Is she 'regular' in that you can try to put her on to have the poop around the time she normally goes to 'catch' her so to speak? I had one who was trained in every aspect accept the poop but he would poop daily around 4 while we were outside - so with his parents consent he started being put on the potty OUTSIDE at about 3:50 and had to stay there until he pooped cause they were tired of getting the poopy underwear home every night just as much as I was tired of 'changing' him out of them.

Personally I do not have time to be cleaning their CLOTHES ... I help the kid clean up and put the 'soiled clothes' into a bag poopy undies and all and send it home for them to deal with ... cause when cleaning up the many accidents also becomes THEIR job as well suddenly they are either more invested in supporting the kid to master it OR realizing that hmmm maybe not ready to be in undies after all.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    The only advice I have is being sure to dump the poop into the toilet for her to see. Then say "see poops goes in the toilet not in our underpants"

Good luck!

Euphoric !
    Ughhhh (shudder). I remember this from when my boys potty trained. Pee was easy to get the hang of, but I threw out more than a few pairs of undies!!!! Ick, for sure.
    For whatever reason, my daughter didn't seem to have as much trouble.
    I have to say, as a parent, I would want to keep up with the undies. BUT, as a provider, I would ask to go back to pull-ups until some more success is seen. Since she is 3, you can discuss with her why it's necessary. And talk about how, when she starts going poop into the potty, she can wear her big-girl undies again. Offer a lot of praise for learning to go pee in the potty. And just let her know that pooping in her undies is really yucky for everyone, so until she is pooping properly, she needs to wear the pull-ups. Maybe they can use the "cold alert" ones, so that they aren't comfortable to wear. That will hopefully stop any regression with the peeing.
    That is, of course, assuming that she doesn't really WANT to wear the pull ups. Otherwise, I don't know if she will have incentive.

Euphoric !
    I put the 3 year old boy I have back in a pullup because of the pooping in the underwear. At the time he was also having way too many pee accidents but that has now stopped and he has even started telling me that he has to go. But never tells me he needs to poop nor tells me that he has pooped - same at home. Parents know they can do what they want at home but at daycare he is in a pullup until fully trained with no accidents of any kind for a month before we do underwear.

Another option for the cleanup is to get the snap apart cloth diapers - they have some that are like a pullup and snap at the sides. At least when you need to change them you can lay them down, unsnap and change like a diaper vice pulling underwear down and having to wash the legs potentially. Expensive to buy but at least washable and great for in the future for outings or car trips even after child is trained when there won't always be a potty right there when you need it.

Euphoric !
    I would insist she be in pullups at my daycare until she is accident free also. You can't call that child potty-trained. I have a little boy in my daycare who is turning 4 next week and his Mom is taking his pullups away on his 4th birthday to show him he's a big boy and I've agreed to that. He's exactly the same as you described, poops nightly (thank goodness) in his pullup right after she puts him on the potty. Stubborn! But he's improving lately so I'm hoping it goes well. I don't think there is a perfect age, the child just has to be ready to do it and until they decide they are going to do it, forget it!

Starting to feel at home...
    The funnest part of potty training for sure!!!! i would recommend trying to identify why she is still pooping in her diaper: is it attributed to fear, not wanting or not knowing. When the cause is identified it is easier to be creative about the solution. But regardless i would for sure require the use of pull ups at daycare.
    If because of fear, the first thing is to ensure that she is always well hydrated and that she consumes alot of fiber to avoid hard stools. This is sometimes why a fear may start and continue. I tricked my nephew by making him poo in his diaper while sitting on the toilet (and making a hole in the diaper) when the poo fell in the toilet he asked me why it had went "ploosshh" and with a lenghty discussion that addressed the fear.
    If it is control or not knowing the biggest thing is finding any signs she will poo either with schedule, hidding, forcing etc... and bringing her to the toilet right away, even if only to finish the poo she has started. This has worked with all my d/c kids as well as my almost 3 year old son.
    Good luck, i hope this will help

Expansive...
    Well, Mom has solved the issue for me already! lol. Today was her second day and she arrived in pull ups, she said "I don't want you to have to deal with poop accidents, so i think we'll just have her in pull ups until she gets the hang of it more". She did a great job of still keeping her pull ups dry peeing on the toilet. I just think she isn't quite there yet. Her development is slightly immature for her age and she can barely even get on the toilet by herself (can't turn on the tap, pump the soap, etc)....she doesn't ask me to go pee, it's just whenever I put her on. So we'll continue with the progress she HAS made with peeing and hope she gets there soon on her own time.

Oh gotta love when they do that for you!!!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi