Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 10 days care

Outgoing
    OK. It is confirmed that they need flexible care. Which means if I take them I will be loosing my full time spot for a part time(10 days) family.

Also just to clarify, no one is telling me that it is not fair. It's me thinking. I know it is my business and I can run it however I want. I was just thinking would it be unfair that's all.

Euphoric !
    As I said I had one of those in the past and I was ok with it at the time but I wasn't full and I figured something was better then nothing but they are gone now and I filled up so now I wouldn't take something like that again because it does take up a full time spot and most peoPle don't want to pay for full time if they are using less then part time .... I understand the "paying by enrollment and not for time or days used" but most parents I've come across won't go for that ... They just keep looking and eventually they find someone who will only make them pay for days used.

Euphoric !
    When it comes down to it, Cocoon, you are the boss!
    Charge what you think is right, and what the market will uphold.
    Let us know what you decide.

I know a few providers in my community who LIKE to offer flex care because they do not want to be full everyday ... that this service is out there for clients who need those flex options is AWESOME however for those of us who NEED or WANT to be full everyday to make our optimum income available to us we should not feel guilty because we put fee payment practices in place to attract what we need - full time clients!

I also worry about people who NEED the full time income and take on those 'flex care' people out of desperation because eventually not having your needs met will weigh on your relationship with that client and resentment seeps into it and affects your program in subtle ways and that is no good for anyone - IMO it is better to tighten the family budgets belt and hold out for the BEST match than accept the 'do in a pinch match' and regret it for the next 3 plus years.

Unless you can truly afford to offer this service and being 'low' on some days is something you prefer to be nothing wrong with telling potential clients 'sorry but offering this sort of care is not in my business plan - I will have to keep interviewing for someone who either needs full time care or who is willing to pay for it even if they do not need everyday.'
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I have giving them a rate which is more then my part time and less then my full time. This family is looking to find a day home where there are only couple of kids and not crowded. I only take care of two kids right now and looking to take 1 one child to make it 3 maximum. And if a family looking for a low ratio day home plus flexible care then I'm afraid they need to pay my full time fee. I gave them a rate where I loose $233 every month if I was to take full time kid. So I think I did my share

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Aside from the income considerations, I wouldn't offer flexible care like this because it will be much harder for the child to adjust and take a lot longer, especially if the days are not regular. I have two part-timers sharing a space right now and although they are regular, I find that one of them gives me a hard time at nap-time because she doesn't nap at home and also she sometimes cries for her mom even though I had her for a year full-time before she went part-time. I don't think I will do part-time care again for this reason. Just my two cents worth!

I agree kangaroomama - your reasons are another reason why I prefer full time care in general - I do not offer part time care to children under the age of two because I find that the adjustment between inconsistent routines or expectations between home and daycare on that age group is particularly a challenge ... over two years they have a little more cognitive understanding that rules at one place might be different are a little more resilient about that.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I'm one who likes a few easy days every week but I sincerely don't think I would even consider 10 days per month. First of all, I don't think the child would settle into the daycare and you would be transitioning from the day they started until the day they left. Children need more consistency which is why my flex care is 3 days/week minimum and I wouldn't even consider any less. Too much stress and trouble for the caregiver and the child.

Only a home daycare provider says that an easy day is one with 4 children instead of 5!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Only a home daycare provider says that an easy day is one with 4 children instead of 5!
    Hehe.... so true.

Starting to feel at home...
    I would take the daily rate you have for part time and multiply that by 10 then divide it by 4 to get a weekly rate. And explain to family #2 that if they need to exceed the 10 days in the month they will need to pay the extra for that number of days.

Also I have a question n the math for family #1...60x2=120x4=480 for 8 days per month...not 520...so at $60/day for both families should be fair.
    Last edited by MunchkinMinder; 03-27-2012 at 10:26 AM.