Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Does anyone have NON FEE DAYS???

My daycare has been open since 2010 and since then I have only offered children 5 sick days a year/per child where I don't charge fees for. Since I opened i have had many parents who wanted to keep their kids at home for many reasons, relatives visiting, doctor's appointments, vacations, etc.

Some parents have stuck to my policy where if they are not here for the day the fee is still due, but others have come in that week and said their child will not be here on a certian day and then deduct that days fee from their cheques. UGH!!

I understand that parents need to keep their kids at home if they are sick and that some days they dont require my care. How do you handle this? Do you give a break on the fees? How much notice do you require?

Also, I have found it hard to confront parents that aren't complying with my contract face-to-face. How do you deal with parents not wanting to pay for missed days?

I plan to hand out my revised contract very soon and STICK TO IT!!! I want to be fair to the parents but it's also a business for me and some parents are taking advantage. (One child wasn't here almost 15 days last year, without pay. And he's only here two days a week).

I appreciate your input and love coming on here to hear everyone's opinions. Makes me feel that I'm not alone in all of this

Sarah
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

Euphoric !
    The ONLY unpaid days in my contract are MY sick days..... If a parents keeps their kid home too bad they still pay .....and my fees are paid in advance so there is no chance of non payment.... If I am sick they deduct it from the next pay period. No pay no care!

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    I charge per month and it includes all sick days or days that they stay home for whatever reason. Also, payment is due at the beginning of the month, this way they won't be reducing the payment for the days they missed. I find this was works best. I haven't had a problem with payments yet. I make sure to go over the contract with parents in detail first before they sign to avoid confusion or arguments later on. What you could do is give a reminder note a couple days before payment is due and just say this is a remider that payment of (whatever amount they owe) is due on (date).
    Good luck. And let us know how it goes.

jec
    I'm the same as Crayola kiddies ~ only sick days that are unpaid are mine. I have it put into my contract that if a little one is away ill and or if I call to have that little one picked due to illness, all fees still apply.
    It's not easy dealing with someone who tries to get away with something...if you let them, they will keep doing it and will also try to get away with other things down the road. For myself, I put things on paper and give parents a memo regarding any issues. It is then in their file and if I ever have to terminate then I have something to show them as to why. I think that might just be my last job spilling into this one
    It took me a couple of years to start growing my back bone for parents who tried to get away with something ~ I think it's all in the approach and how you word something too. It doesn't have to be a my way or the highway attitude but having said that, there has to be a mutual respect and if it's not there on the parent's end....time to do some thinking if it's a right fit.

You have to remember, that a home daycare is a business too!

If I'm open, parents have to pay. The days that I close, they don't need to pay. It's not that I don't care if they have a funeral or their child is sick; they have to pay to keep their childs spot. They don't pay, that means that I can advertise for that spot!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the replies. So you think that I'm being too nice to include Non Fees for personal days in which they don't need care??

Also, I included the 5 sick days so they don't bring in their kid when they are sick, otherwise they will try to bring them in when they are. I just hate the confrontation at the door and sometimes you don't realize that they are sick until later that morning.

How do the parents respond to paying for sick days for their children?

My sick days??? What are those??? I haven't taken ONE sick day since I have started and have only closed for one personal day.

Regarding payment, I have arranged biweekly payments for my parents and this is where I have a problem with one of my parents coming with her cheque every two weeks with some days deducted. I'm not going to take that ANYMORE!!! I'm losing too much money with this spot.
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

Expansive...
    Yes! you are being too nice. Go ahead and give 5 sick days. but keep count and when they are at the end of those days send them an email reminding them of the days they have taken off and that they will be charged from then on.

I would send an email out to all parents as a 'friendly' reminder of the rules of these no fee days and that some maybe 'inadvertently' be taking advantage of this by neglecting to pay after they have used up their 'fee free days' . this way you don't feel as though you have to confront just one family. Those who do follow the rules will know that this particular email does not apply to them. make sure you admit fault to letting it slide in the past and that you will no longer be able to over look it.

Expansive...
    Your post is me right now! lol

I also have a hard time confronting the parents on following my rules.....but I'm getting better! and the only non-paid days are my own - vacation & if my daughter or myself are "too" sick.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

No unpaid days! If you're open, they pay. It's the norm, and you're worth it.

Have the Parents pay in advance. For example today is my pay day for the next two weeks. I have 5 paid sick days for myself amd two personal days...and 3 weeks paid holidays. I remind parents they are paying for the spot .....not necessarily by the day. As far as parents bringing sick little ones I ask would you want me to let other peoples children in if they were this sick? I will admit my children are older....so they don't really catch daycare illnesses anymore .... I have had a few showdowns with parents in the past over paying when there child is sick. I have stuck to my guns, not always easy....we all worry about the bottom line, but in my experience the parent doesn't want to go through the hassle of finding a new provider..