Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 10 days care

Agreed - the families have no business knowing what you charge the others, nor do you have any reason to feel guilty. The first family I signed on pays ten dollars a day less than my other families, but nobody knows that, and I would never hike their rate, as they helped me start my business.

Reggio, I will NEVER get myself into this type of arrangement again either. It's complicated, and the family is often confused with which days he is supposed to be here, etc. Just way too much hassle, and yeah, it has ended up costing me about $100 a week, to be honest, as my flex family never has a set schedule, and I can't take on another part timer to coincide with my free days. Ah well, lesson learned. Dck is wonderful, as is his family, so I can't really begrudge him the space or the time.

Also, $65 is my part time fee. I don't charge that for my full timers. It's the going rate in my area. I guess I could charge less, but really...why would I do that?? lol

Outgoing
    None of them knows how much I'm charging. It just I'm feeling that it might not be fair. I want to be fair to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    ....Also, $65 is my part time fee. I don't charge that for my full timers. It's the going rate in my area. I guess I could charge less, but really...why would I do that?? lol
    Oh I hear ya - if that is what the market will bare in your area for sure ... just amazes me the difference across a Province!

In my area the 'average' is $150 - 160 a week for full time care which works out to $30-32 a day and than $35-38 a day for part time fees....so $65 a day just seemed huge variance to me specially when 'centres' offer care to preschool age group for $40 a day here in my home town ... it is just the infant/toddler fees which are up over the $55-70 a day.

Toron
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I bet I pay more for most everything though...Toronto is expensive! I also have only infants and toddlers in my care, but I'd charge the same for a preschooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I bet I pay more for most everything though...Toronto is expensive! I also have only infants and toddlers in my care, but I'd charge the same for a preschooler.
    Oh do not get me wrong I am so not begrudging you your fee - I often think we should be able to charge MORE than CENTRES do because IMO we offer a superior service and well it is not OUR fault that the cost of centre based care is driven up by the many many salaries that do not provide directly to the service - however the market likely not going to bare that hike
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Your other option to address the 10 vice 8 days is to charge for 8 days as in the same as the other family at 2 days per week guaranteed whether they come for two or not - that just holds the space for them. Any day over that they pay an additional fee. In theory if in a two week period they came only one day one week they would still pay for two and if the next week they came for 4 days they would pay the two day rate plus for two additional days. What you charge for the additional days will be up to you - as in as close to another daily rate as you can go without the family bailing on you. At least no matter what the family does attendance wise you know your basic income for the week that you can budget with.

Outgoing
    I charge $40 per day if they are in care less than 5 days per week. I have a casual family right now and they have two girls and they pay $75 per day. I also have a little one that comes two days per week and she pays $80 a week.
    Last edited by jodaycare; 03-21-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Euphoric !
    I have a couple of fee arrangements.

A) full time is paid for monthly and in advance. I will also accept payment twice a month by dividing the monthly fee in half. But still paid in advance!

B) part time, guaranteed. I charge a slightly higher daily amount for p/t than what it works out to for full timers. This is because they are taking up a spot, and yes, it can be irritating to have rotating/changing schedules. For example: a family knows they need at least 6 days of care every month. 6 x my daily p/t rate= what they pay me, in advance, monthly. Should they require extra days, they just pay the daily fee that day. Should they require less days, too bad. This way they are guaranteed care when they need, and I am guaranteed a specific amount, sometimes more. Let me tell ya, they almost always use all 6 days. Even if they don't "need" them. But I don't begrudge that.
    I normally keep one "space" for this type of arrangement, but would not do this if I needed all f/t placement.

C) part time, drop-in, is subject to availability. I ask for 24 hrs notice, and reserve the right to refuse if I can not accomodate. The daily payment is expected by the end of that day, or you will not be welcome back.

I also don't know why one family would be mad, since they DO NOT need to know what others are paying. It's not any of their business, frankly. It's YOURS! Why is it unfair? P/T care is pretty much universally more expensive on a daily rate than full time care. Due to all the reasons I listed above, and more!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    This is why I do not do FLEX care - cause it gets to complicated and clients end up getting trying to nickle and dime you when in fact offering them service COSTS YOU MONEY cause they are sitting in a full time spot ... I just prefer to have clients who come the same days every week and charge for the SPACE they are occupying ... in my program if you needed a Monday and Wednesday one week but maybe next week needing Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and than nothing for a week and than a full week and so forth you would be paying for the full time spot you are occupying .... mind you where I live we only charge HALF what you guys are charging in Toronto .... $65 a day for any age group other than an infant is more than CENTRES charge in our area
    I started my business on the premise of flexible care. Two of my kids still have varying schedules but most other have developed solid days or gone full time. I have never really had any problems you guys are talking about here but I also don't charge the same way. I do no do a daily rate. I have a base rate for four hours or less and then charge $5 per hour for each additional hour. This way parents are paying for what they need. I take on two flexible families to take care of one full time spot. If one day seems crazy with bookings I just bring in my assistant.

It does seem complicated the way you guys are talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexFunCare View Post
    .... If one day seems crazy with bookings I just bring in my assistant.

It does seem complicated the way you guys are talking about it.
    I am confused - do you bring in an assistant because you are than over 5 kids on those 'crazy booking days' ... cause we are not allowed to do that in Ontario - according to the DNA it does not matter how many adults we have on the premise the MAX kids we can have is the 5 kids unless we are licensed as a day nursery?
    Loris Malaguzzi