Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunscreen/repellant brand?

Last year I had everyone supply their own sunscreen but have decided instead to just buy a couple of big containers to put on everyone (easier I think then storing, having separate containers for 6 kids!). Is there a gentle, hypo-allergenic brand anyone has luck with? One that has mosquito repellant in it would be awesome!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I use Green Beaver or Badger brand on my kids...it is expensive though! But it is all natural. I would not use a bug repellent on children...it had deet in it which is pretty toxic. If you do want to use a repellent, I would make sure you get the parents' permission as I know I would be furious if my daycare provider put it on my kids without me knowing (when my kids were in daycare). I have the parents provide the sunscreen because I don't want anyone having a reaction (it happened with a child this week, but it was his own sunscreen) and me being blamed. Also, I couldn't buy the cheap stuff and I can't afford to buy the good stuff for them all!

Ditto Green Beaver and Badger. I ask the parents to supply it though. It is the only kind I will use for the under 3 set.

jec
    http://y98.radio.com/2011/05/28/the-...rst-sunscreen/
    I get the parents to supply their little one's sun screen too ~ in the event of a reaction. Here is a link with some more info. The ones I was using for my own kids turned out to be one of the worst and I thought due to marketing..it was one of the best. Goes to show, you really need to read up on what you use

Euphoric !
    Alpha: do you actually ask them to buy those brands? I have some who buy them anyway and I am grateful, but I hesitate to dictate which brands they can supply, especially when the good ones are so expensive. At the same time, I hate using the chemical-full kinds...I have to apply it and it gets on my hands too. I hate the spray kind and after looking at the link jec supplied, I am definitely going to ban them from now on...but how do I do that when parents have just bought and sent it?

I do require the natural stuff. I had a mom who didn't comply, so I just used someone else's on her daughter. If you're really worried about it, I'd verbally talk to parents about it.."oh know what, today at nap time, I was reading about sunscreens, and I was appalled at the crap that goes into them. I am throwing out all of mine, and getting the natural kind...it penetrates the skin and goes into my kids' system, blah blah" See what they say. They may ask you to suggest a brand.

ETA: I kinda live in a hippie type neighbourhood, so it wasn't a hard sell.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks for that link jec.....do any of you know where to get any of those "better" brands? I have never heard of any of them!!!! Thanks!

Expansive...
    I've always been told that Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Body Spray (also known as Avon Skin So Soft Soft & Fresh Replenishing Dry Oil Body Spray) also works as an insect repellent.

In insect repellent tests performed at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK consumer body Which? found Avon Skin So Soft body lotion was effective for one hour, providing only minimal protection against biting insects – a poor performance in comparison to other insect repellents that were tested. On the plus side, Avon Skin So Soft body lotion is not DEET-based and is cheaper than most other insect repellents.

If you decide to try Avon Skin So Soft Body Spray as an insect repellent, bear in mind that you may have to reapply it more frequently than other insect repellents in order for it to be effective. But, even if it does not keep away the mozzies, you’ve still got a body spray that will keep your skin soft and smelling gorgeous, and it didn’t break the bank.

**** Not just because I sell Avon but my mom used it on me growing up and I use it on my own daughter. When we are camping I spray her clothes directly at night, seems to last bit longer since it's not being absorbed into the skin but the clothing its self!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    Funny, I just asked all my daycare parents for $5 each this week, due to our hot spell in Ontario, to pitch in for part of the season's sunscreen. I'm buying Green Beaver which is certified organic and it's quite expensive. Once their $25 runs out I'll buy the rest for the season but I think that will be very helpful.

The reason I'm doing this is because the last several years I've had 5 sunscreens here, one for each child in their backpacks and I've just decided that's a pain.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    I've always been told that Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Body Spray (also known as Avon Skin So Soft Soft & Fresh Replenishing Dry Oil Body Spray) also works as an insect repellent.
    I swear by it too and it even works at the cottage where they are relentless!

I've never heard of Green Beaver but going to purchase some this year ~ thanks for mentioning it ladies!!