Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Sample Termination Letters

Good Afternoon all!

I am going to be needing to write up a termination letter in the next week or so and have not done so before. Just looking for some ideas on how to write it properly and professionally. Do you just basically write, "I hereby give notice of termination of care effective xx date"? Or do you write up a letter with reasons, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I have thankfully never had to do this since moving into home childcare venue

When I worked in a centre parents always KNEW termination was coming if it got to that point - so it was never a 'surprise' and the details could be kept clear and factual in their letter just for our records. Termination in centre care was either due to their child was a danger to the program and we had already had several meetings prior to try to resolve that, given a deadline to meet 'goals' and if they were not than it was a 'as per our behaviour management contract dated (insert date that contract was made) in regards to little X's goals for improvement needing to be seen by today's date we will no longer be able to provide services effective (insert date) and your security deposit has been applied to your account to cover this notice period.

If we were not giving any NOTICE aka the kids behaviour was THAT BAD we would just refund the deposit and end the termination letter with 'care is terminated effective immediately and your security deposit is enclosed in lieu of the two week notice period.'

Now if it was with regards to PAYMENT they would definitely know it was coming cause who doesn't know their account is in arrears? In which case it would be along the lines of 'Please not that effective today we will no longer be providing childcare services. As per our contract you have not kept up with your financial obligations for care and your account is currently in arrears of X amount. Please note that if your account is not paid in full by X date that we will have no choice but to send your account to collections and if that does not resolve the issue to sue for amount owning in Small Claims court."

Is your client AWARE that you are feeling frustrated enough for termination? Is it a payment issue. a behaviour issue or what is motivating the desire to terminate?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Inspired By Reggio - their 7 year old has SERIOUS behavior issues - hates all forms of female authority, is malicious towards myself and the other kids, grabs constantly, throws tantrums where she rolls on the ground and kicks and screams, draws on my walls, has smeared feces on the walls, constantly yells at me that she hates me and I am rude(regardless of what we are doing). I've been patient with them and agreed to their disicpline tactics, which haven't worked. I've put up with this for a very long time and nothing ever improves. She gets worse as time goes on. I've told them I need to consider not only my own mental health but that of the other kids here and they say they understand. I've suggested counselling, which they refuse to do because it is expensive and embarassing if their friends find out. So, I'm sure they must see it coming. She has been kicked out of ther dayhomes and I am afraid I may have to do it as well.

Euphoric !
    Dear x

I am writing this letter to inform you that I will be terminating care for xxxxx due to ongoing behavioural issues, as well as a general air of disrespect shown to myself and my business. The last day available for care is xxxxx.

It's kinda rough and I'm sure others will beable to embellish but it's a start.

Good luck and you'll be glad when it's over.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    How about: Get out of my house and never come back you crazy people!

Just kidding. I've only terminated twice and it was kind of mutually agreed upon verbally because I reached my limit with the children/parents at the same time they realized I was about to lose my mind! The reason for that is because I'm honest from day one about any issue that arises and if parents are not helping at home and working to improve their child for their child's own benefit then I can't help them. And if the parents are too demanding or have unreasonable expectations of me then it's best they find someone else. Because I give 100% daily and work hard in the evenings to prepare for the next day and if I'm not appreciated by the families I get very frustrated.

I'm not in this business to bang my head against a wall. I'm in this business to nurture and care for the children and families who share my values and morals and childrearing philosophies.

So make sure you don't ever feel guilty when you have to make the difficult decision to terminate. I like Crayola's letter. You are telling the truth, but don't go into great detail and you DO NOT have to explain yourself any further. It's a business decision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Mine are short and sweet. I don't think a lengthy explanation is necessary as most parents know why they are being terminated. Most providers typically tell the parents there is a problem and ask to help fix it before they terminate.

Quote Originally Posted by busydaycarelady View Post
    Inspired By Reggio - their 7 year old has SERIOUS behavior issues - hates all forms of female authority, is malicious towards myself and the other kids, grabs constantly, throws tantrums where she rolls on the ground and kicks and screams, draws on my walls, has smeared feces on the walls, constantly yells at me that she hates me and I am rude(regardless of what we are doing). I've been patient with them and agreed to their disicpline tactics, which haven't worked. I've put up with this for a very long time and nothing ever improves. She gets worse as time goes on. I've told them I need to consider not only my own mental health but that of the other kids here and they say they understand. I've suggested counselling, which they refuse to do because it is expensive and embarassing if their friends find out. So, I'm sure they must see it coming. She has been kicked out of ther dayhomes and I am afraid I may have to do it as well.
    Oh ya - if they are not willing to get her the help she obviously NEEDS than her needs are more than a 'dayhome' can provide I would terminate as well and say just that ... 'Dear X After careful consideration and reflection it has become evident that Busydaycarelady childcare is not be best match for X's needs. As a result our childcare arrangement will be coming to an end effective X date. Sincerely you"
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Thanks for all the great help!

Here's what I've come up with:

Dear XXXX and XXXX,

After careful consideration and reflection, it has become evident that XXXXXXXXX Dayhome is no longer a good match for XXXX's needs. Due to XXXX's ongoing behavioral and attitude issues, I will no longer be able to provide childcare for her effective XXXX. In addition to these behavioral issues, I find XXXX has a complete lack of respect for myself, my rules, the other children in my care and my facility. I also find that my illness policy has not always been fully respected, which has contributed to making caring for XXXX very difficult at times.

I wish XXXX the very best in the future.

Sincerely,

Me

Sound alright?

Hmm, just my opinion, but I think it's a little unnecessarily harsh. I would totally take out the "lack of respect...and my facility" bit. I think that a simple "after careful...effective XXXX" and leave it at that.

I also wouldn't bother with the illness policy thing. For what, you know? I am sure they're aware that their kid is a mess, and are going to get pretty frustrated that their care arrangements have yet again been terminated. Why rub salt in the wounds?

Euphoric !
    I think it's good and perhaps these parents will receive a wakeup call that they need to improve their child's behaviour. Especially if they receive the same opinions from the next daycare provider or the next school teacher. Don't these people want to raise polite children who respect others?

As long as this family won't be able to smear your good name or reputation you may as well be honest. But as Alpha said, you may want to be really careful about your wording.