Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bottle to Bed?

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by lilac View Post
    Bacteria in the mouth metobolizes foods left on the teeth (not only juice but also formula) and produces acids as a bi-product which is what causes the decay
    How about you? Do you allow it?

Quote Originally Posted by lunademiel View Post
    So does that mean you do not put children to bed with a bottle? Do you have a policy for this?
    Don't have a policy for it. Thought it was common sense!

When I had little ones in care, they would curl up on the couch or on a pillow on the floor and have their bottle. NEVER EVER have I let babies in bed with a bottle. Even my DH knows it's bad for babies to have bottles in bed, and we don't have kids of our own yet!!!

In centers, they don't allow this either.

Expansive...
    I too always heard that it's bad to drink anything except water before bed PERIOD....but that milk/bottles due cause tooth decay as well. Thats why we brush our teeth before bed, so there isn't food on our teeth - same rule goes for kids.

I don't have a "written poilcy" for it either because I too thought it was just DONE that way. They can drink a bottle if they want before nap downstairs, we brush our teeth (all the kids) then go down for nap.

If a parent wanted the child to drink in bed I just wouldn't do it. I'd continue my way....but that's how I see things.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    If a parent wanted the child to drink in bed I just wouldn't do it. I'd continue my way....but that's how I see things.
    My business, my rules!!!

Expansive...
    exactly

Euphoric !
    Interesting and something to think about - thanks ladies!

I too always heard that it's bad to drink anything except water before bed PERIOD....but that milk/bottles due cause tooth decay as well. Thats why we brush our teeth before bed, so there isn't food on our teeth - same rule goes for kids.

I don't have a "written poilcy" for it either because I too thought it was just DONE that way. They can drink a bottle if they want before nap downstairs, we brush our teeth (all the kids) then go down for nap.

So what if the parent was insisting? Would you just not tell them? What about the transition and weaning from the bottle? They are GOING to cry for sure, do you let them cry? Do you let the parents know that's the plan? Am I just telling the parents too much?

Euphoric !
    I won't put a baby to bed with a bottle either although I hadn't thought of putting in in my contract. It's bad for the teeth and then there is the milk dripped all over my pack n pays...no thanks! I had one parent say that is how their baby goes to sleep, but I just never did it and she was just fine here. They never specifically asked me to do it. I would say to the parents that because of safety/health/ and hygeine (mention milk dripped in the playpen) you are not able to put babies to bed with a bottle as per current health and safety recommendations. I wouldn't specifically dote on the letting the baby cry unless they ask and then I would tell them that the child may cry a bit, but will likely adjust very quickly and that you will be there to reassure and comfort as needed. If the child uses a soother, perhaps that might help ease the transition. You might also suggest that the parents stop putting the child to bed with a bottle as well to help with consistency.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by lunademiel View Post
    So what if the parent was insisting? Would you just not tell them? What about the transition and weaning from the bottle? They are GOING to cry for sure, do you let them cry? Do you let the parents know that's the plan? Am I just telling the parents too much?
    Do you have a trial period - where you can terminate care if it's just not a good fit...

I'd maybe offer a teddy or soft music - something else to make up for the 'lost' bottle OR try like the ladies said above...try with water instead.

The BIGGEST Problem is the parents are insisting - I'm sorry but I make the rules here, if they don't like it then they can find someone else who will let them make all the rules. This is just the begining.....if they're already telling you how to run your home and "make" you change your original rules....good luck in 5/6/7months from now. What else are you going to change for them because they are "insisting"?

The BIGGEST Problem is the parents are insisting - I'm sorry but I make the rules here, if they don't like it then they can find someone else who will let them make all the rules. This is just the begining.....if they're already telling you how to run your home and "make" you change your original rules....good luck in 5/6/7months from now. What else are you going to change for them because they are "insisting"?
    Yep this is where I wondered if this was a power struggle issue more then the actual bottle issue. This is not the 1st time my policies have been questioned with this particular parent. First it was my policies regarding vacation, then scheduled nap times, and now the insisting the bottle is necessary for nutrition. I honestly prefer her being weaned from the bottle at home since they have a month to do it. This is why it's in my policies to prepare the child for the transition. So now the child is going to have to adjust to daycare AND not getting the bottle to fall asleep. I also just don't understand why it's being questioned, my daycare, my rules!

It's amazing how much backbone is required for this business