Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bottle to Bed?

Euphoric !
    Milk is necessary for nutrition...not the bottle! And, if the child will not take milk in a cup, he/she can still have the bottle before going to bed; that's what I do with those who are on bottles...I give it to them after lunch and then they go for their naps. From a parental point of view, I can understand wanting the child to have the bottle if he won't drink from a cup (I was in this position with my middle son and was thankful that his daycare provider was fine with me sending bottles as I wanted him to have the amount of milk my doctor was recommending). However, I can't understand why they are so insistent about him having it in bed with him, especially if they are aware that this is bad for his teeth (this has been pretty common knowledge for quite some time...I remember it from when my first son was a baby almost 17 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by lunademiel View Post
    Yep this is where I wondered if this was a power struggle issue more then the actual bottle issue. This is not the 1st time my policies have been questioned with this particular parent. First it was my policies regarding vacation, then scheduled nap times, and now the insisting the bottle is necessary for nutrition. I honestly prefer her being weaned from the bottle at home since they have a month to do it. This is why it's in my policies to prepare the child for the transition. So now the child is going to have to adjust to daycare AND not getting the bottle to fall asleep. I also just don't understand why it's being questioned, my daycare, my rules!

It's amazing how much backbone is required for this business

Starting to feel at home...
    Yes milk is necessary for nutrition. I'm fine with giving her a bottle. I'm just not ok with it in bed. I'm also not ok with my policies being argued. I feel like I'm not being taking seriously. To her I'm just a glorified babysitter

I need to come up with a polite way to say that my policies are not up for negotiation!

I need to come up with a polite way to say that my policies are not up for negotiation!
    Just state it as so. "I shouldn't have to remind you, but my policies are not up for negotiation."

They don't like it, tough! They can leave.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

jec
    Wow ~ I didn't know!! My own girls went from breast to sippy cup and I never gave my own bottles to fall asleep.
    I never realized the sugar content was more and the risks and I never did it myself. Apparently not common sense to me
    Thanks for the info luna and ladies for the link! Moving forward I'm changing my policy.

As for a polite way to come up telling the parents, you can always let them know for safety reasons, your not comfortable with it and she/he will adjust. If they keep insisting then play and learn is right ~ let them know your policy are not up for negotiation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Along with what everyone else has said...bottles also leak creating more work (laundry and cleaning of the pnp). I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to be doing extra laundry/cleaning every day. I don't allow bottles in bed and really don't care what parents say about it. It's not happening at my house and a child does NOT need a bottle IN bed to fall asleep. It's a horrible habit to start. I never even allowed this with my own kids and i personally prefer to not have bottles here at all. I prefer kids to be on a sippy cup from day 1 with me.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post:

The mom is mostly just worried that the child is not getting enough nutrition because she's always too busy to eat and her teeth/gums have been bothering her so she feels this is the only way she'll get enough nutrition. I think I'll just reassure her that the power of social eating will encourage her to eat when the other children eat that she'll end up eating enough. And also tell her that it's up to her wether she wants to wean her from the the bottle in bed before she starts daycare or when she starts because I won't put her to bed with a bottle. She's aware that my wait list is a long one so she can decide if the power struggle is worth it or not. I need her to respect me and my day home.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lunademiel For This Useful Post:

PS thanks for all your replies!

The mom is mostly just worried that the child is not getting enough nutrition because she's always too busy to eat and her teeth/gums have been bothering her so she feels this is the only way she'll get enough nutrition. I think I'll just reassure her that the power of social eating will encourage her to eat when the other children eat that she'll end up eating enough. And also tell her that it's up to her wether she wants to wean her from the the bottle in bed before she starts daycare or when she starts because I won't put her to bed with a bottle. She's aware that my wait list is a long one so she can decide if the power struggle is worth it or not. I need her to respect me and my day home.
    So she's not even in care yet?! And she's trying to negotiate with you!?

I wouldn't take her on if you have a waiting list....NEXT!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    So she's not even in care yet?! And she's trying to negotiate with you!?

I wouldn't take her on if you have a waiting list....NEXT!
    YIKES! If I had a waiting list I would not be putting in this much effort for this woman. I'm also guessing that if she's fighting this hard for it this early on in the game - that not many other providers she may have looked into allowed bottle to bed either!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

See the problem with my city is the very large demand for childcare so once I agreed to take this child on 6 months ago, the family is counting on me. There just isn't any other childcare available so I feel a HUGE responsibility. I don't want to leave them stranded over this. I think I'm just trying to be too understanding. Again, I just need a backbone...