Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Life Goals of a DCP

I just realized that at 34 years old I've achieved all goals I'd set for myself. Marriage, children, successful daycare allowing me to be home with my children... That's a good thing, but what's next? I could be 60 and be content. Everything has revolved around my family, and I'm happy, but I think that I need something new for me...but what? My kids are going to keep growing and depending on me less and less if I do my job properly. What will I have when they're grown?
    I don't have any desire to go back to my old career after "this". I just don't know what's next. I definitely plan on doing daycare for a good 5-10 years, but there has to be something more to my life.
    What type of goals do you ladies have set for yourselves? I guess my short term goal is to set goals!

jec
    I turned the big 40 last month {and coming to terms with it }
    I am always setting new goals both short and long term. You need to focus on things that you enjoy, like to do. For myself, I love to sew and make clothes for my girls. I'm going to turn this hobby into something one day that I can maybe turn into a small business. Right now my daycare is my priority and family but my hobby will hopefully one day turn into something more. I'm always taking courses to learn and grow and keep me active and learning.

Think about what you like to do...and then start a hobby- there is plenty out there for you to reach out and grab!!

I have come to the conclusion that I am a lifer - I cannot imagine doing anything else with my days at least for an 'income'.

So my primary career goal is to help ensure my body holds out doing this so that I can hopefully one day be here for my grandkids ... I too find it helps to maintain ones passion for this role by attending course that help recharge my soul and remind me why this is the MOST IMPORTANT ROLE we could have ... just attended a conference this past weekend on 'taking play deeper - showing stakeholders the value of play' as well as an afternoon one on creating healthy attachments in a caregiver role ... both were awesome and even after 20 years in this field still picking up new tricks and strategies to make my job easier and more fun in the long run!

My goal for my personal life is make sure I stay passionate about ME as well ... as Jec mentioned having a hobby you love and one that can potentially act as an income source one day is a double plus ... I am a creative soul ... I paint, I make cards, I scrapbook and so forth to get out of the house with other adults and have meaningful conversations that stimulate my mind that are not about 3 year old interests
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    There's a very good chance that I'm doing this until retirement. I like it more than anything I've done in the past and I enjoy the numerous perks.
    I'm working on a list of what I like to do and what I'd like to do/learn. I guess that's a good place to start. I'm no longer sure of what it is that I like...besides doing things with my kids. I've forgotten who I am over the past few years.

Expansive...
    I've still got all the normal 'life goals' ahead of me. Plan the wedding, have the wedding, buy the house, take the kid to Disney world, so on and so forth. Thinking ahead anymore makes my head hurt.

Suddenly I feel nauseous just thinking about what I'm in the process of doing . . . . aaaaaAAAHHH BILLS . . . *BARF*

Thanks a lot guys!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

I too stuggle with what to do after daycare - I am feeling better about it now but I did hit a patch of burnout last year that was hard to get out of... I always seem to come back to the conclusion that there isn't anything else I can do that will bring in as much money with as many perks (as many holidays as I choose, home for my kids etc) But my kids are getting older and in HS now and before I know it they will be gone - do I really want runny noses and dirty diapers forever? I think I just need to set more boundaries and see if I can stay in business with them - ie - being closed for the summer completely and having less kids - like 3-4 instead of 5 all the time...

Background info - I've been running my home daycare for 13.5 years now and have a waitlist of kids for the next few years...but some days I really think I've had enough

I won't be doing anything after daycare. I just started last year, and I can't IMAGINE what I was thinking doing anything else. I love the little goobers, and I honestly think that this is the best job I've ever had, and I've had many. Well, actually, I love working with seniors almost as much, but their poops are a little more rank. Oh, that wasn't nice...lol but you know it's true.

As far as goals go, I have only ever had two goals - to be happy, and to have babies. I am very happy, and I have three gorgeous children who are my very raison d'etre. I have no more goals. I am fulfilled. Well, I kinda want a car. Is that a goal?

Euphoric !
    My goal is to keep doing daycare at least until my kids are in full-time school, but I likely will continue longer so that I can be here for them after school and on holidays. I do think that eventually I will want to go back to work outside the home and when it gets closer to that I will figure out what I want to do as I don't want to go back to teaching as I did before. I know how you feel though...my whole life revolves around my family and I don't even have time to think about a hobby...but I know that is temporary as my kids are small. I would much rather have my children than a hobby! I figure there will be lots of time later on to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life as they grow up

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I won't be doing anything after daycare. I just started last year, and I can't IMAGINE what I was thinking doing anything else. I love the little goobers, and I honestly think that this is the best job I've ever had, and I've had many. Well, actually, I love working with seniors almost as much, but their poops are a little more rank. Oh, that wasn't nice...lol but you know it's true.

As far as goals go, I have only ever had two goals - to be happy, and to have babies. I am very happy, and I have three gorgeous children who are my very raison d'etre. I have no more goals. I am fulfilled. Well, I kinda want a car. Is that a goal?
    I totally agree. I'm just realizing that maybe I need new things to achieve in order to stay happy....or maybe not. Maybe this is enough. I am happy, but I don't want to wake up a hermit one day!

I just discovered, after much self-observation that in the last year I have gone through a bit of a mid-life crisis with regard to daycare. I am a 'doer'. I have always been a career ladder climber. I have always been the "best of my class" both in school and in the job market (before my own kids and daycare). I used to work in a fast-paced job that required me to be very aware of things and act quickly and precisely with regard to the business and the people in the business. And by being a "doer" I was rewarded for it.

So, it occurred to me in the last little bit that I have been flailing A LOT in the last year with regard to daycare. It occurred to me that I didn't want to admit that this was 'it' for me. That my head is literally against the cold, glass ceiling of daycare. I feel I have "mastered" all I can with regard to the business side of daycare. I have no where left to go and this makes me panicky and feeling "useless".

I even went out and took additional, expensive, training this past year thinking this would be what I "needed" to feel better and more fulfilled. But now that I have that training it's not any better. I'm just a better trained, unfulfilled person.

Just in the last week I have sort of had an epiphany........ I realized that YES, this is IT. All that I currently HAVE with regard to daycare IS as far as you can go. It doesn't get any more exciting than this. It doesn't get any better and you don't get any more recognition or reward. So then I had to remember that although this is it I should also be glad that this is it! I don't have to fight or climb or constantly feel like I am proving myself to some business hierarchy. I should be GLAD that I CAN have easy days that include sitting on a lawn chair in my back yard while getting paid.

I think sometimes we have to come full circle to realize that what we think we want isn't really what we DO want and that sometimes, just sometimes, what we want is exactly what we have.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: