Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Guys, I'm going to cry....again

I.am.at.my.wits.end.

I have a wonderful little dayhome going. I have been opened since October and have had nothing but positive feedback from parents about how happy their kids are with me and how they wish they had found me sooner (2 families left other dayhomes to come to me). I have a small group of fabulous kids...my biggest problem??? MY son.
    He's 21 months old and going trough an absolutely horrid phase that start about 3-4 week ago. ONLY during daycare hours he has become incredibly aggressive: hitting, pulling hair, biting, screaming and even head butting.
    For the record, I am being very consistent with teaching being gentle, emphasizing on the feelings of the "victim", sitting on the stairs for 1 minute and redirecting to a new activity. But it's only a matter of minutes before he strikes again. If I'm not RIGHT there (I left his side today to go fix a skipping CD), he WILL hurt someone. He bit a 19month old dcb and while I was fussing over and icing his bite mark, he ran over to a dcg dancing to music and pulled her hair and wouldn't let go.
    I'm just at my wits end!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like such a horrible Mom, because I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG. I have a 7 yrs old girl who I didn't have any issues with this. I have my dck's whom I'm able to manage very effectively any aggressive behaviour. Today after that last incident I described, I brought him upstairs away from the other kids, went into the bathroom and had a full out sobbing break down. It was just one of those weak moments where I felt so helpless...my poor husband on the phone was terrified lol.
    Anyways, they are all sleeping now so I get to chill...hoping for a better afternoon. If you have any advice or possible explanation I would love to hear it...but this was more for venting purposes than anything. I'm sure it has something to do with "sharing Mommy" and getting more attention, but I'm just so frustrated and quite frankly saddened by the whole thing.

apples and bananas
    oh no, I can't give you advise because I'm going through a similar issue with one my DCK's. I certainly understand the need to hide and cry. It feels like no matter what you do the behaviour is still there... if not worse. Hang in there! You're not the only one. It's hard to calmly redirect when another child is hurt.

You're not doing anything wrong. Your son is probably trying to get your attention. He has to share his momma now, and toddlers aren't known at the best of times for their sharing capabilities, especially when it comes to their parents.

I would put a pack n play in the main play area. I would put him in it for more than a minute (maybe three?) every time he offends. I would swiftly grab him, speak in your angry voice, and let him know that biting/hitting/pulling hair is NOT acceptable. Let him watch as you and the daycare kids do something fun without him. When he can see what he is missing, when he knows that you're upset, he'll get the message. Like everything with kids, consistency is paramount.

Good luck!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    In no way is this to blame you but it sounds like he is very jealous of your attention being given away to others. *not that it's an ok way to deal with it* Maybe try having special moments with just MOMMY so he still feels like you're not replacing him?

My daughter had a hard time too....one day about a month ago she was so bad and cranky, wanted to held all day - so I did! It was a "chill day"...she got her mommy-full and didn't act out again! I give her tons of hugs and kisses through out the day (sometimes the dck want hugs too and I'll give them but I don't kiss attack them like w/ my own).

Hang in there ((hugs))
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    1-minute time out on the stairs seems like a vacation?

He should be going to his room and he should either be put in his crib or in a playpen for his time outs. Let him sit there for 20 minutes if that’s what it takes. Do not pick him up until he has calmed down. Tell him "no hitting" and put him straight in his (play pen/crib), when you come and get him say no more hitting, we are gentle to our friends. Give him a big hug and be constant.

I don’t believe in time outs, they only work for seriously 10% of kids. I have a daycare girl who when put in her room thinks its funny & the stairs is a vacation as well. I through trial and error found that putting her in the corner works like a charm.

He may need the de stress of being isolated and after being removed from the fun a few dozen times it should really work. It worked for the most aggressive child I had in my care and now she is amazing at maintaining her composure when angry. If someone else takes a toy from her she is extremely calm. But boy did she ever hurt the other kids just out of the blue for no reason.

It must really suck that its your own little one but stay firm consistent and always hug after he has been removed from the group for time outs. When you are able to re direct him praise him for great listening. Remember it’s just a phase.

Good Luck!

Hugs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    You're not doing anything wrong. Your son is probably trying to get your attention. He has to share his momma now, and toddlers aren't known at the best of times for their sharing capabilities, especially when it comes to their parents.

I would put a pack n play in the main play area. I would put him in it for more than a minute (maybe three?) every time he offends. I would swiftly grab him, speak in your angry voice, and let him know that biting/hitting/pulling hair is NOT acceptable. Let him watch as you and the daycare kids do something fun without him. When he can see what he is missing, when he knows that you're upset, he'll get the message. Like everything with kids, consistency is paramount.

Good luck!
    Don't disipline in the main area it doesn't work and it causes more aggression. No one likes being singled out infront of everyone else. Put him in his room.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    Don't disipline in the main area it doesn't work and it causes more aggression. No one likes being singled out infront of everyone else. Put him in his room.
    Works for us!

Expansive...
    The main play area is in the basement and his bedroom is on the third floor, so it isn't quite that simple to just haul him up 3 flights of stairs every time he hits. And no, sorry but I'm not going to put a not even 2 yrs old in a 20 minutes time out. Not my style. 1 minute per year over here when and if they get time outs. I very rarely even resort time outs over here because I don't believe it teaches them much of anything until they are older.
    I DO love the playpen idea though. Where I can put him sternly for a minute or 2 while I shower the "victim" with pity where he can see in an effort to encourage empathy/sympathy, and see what he misses out on. He does get plenty of 'just mommy' time during the day (I take him with me to prepare meals, put him to bed last so we can snuggle in the rocker, and he wakes up first so we have about 1/2 hr to ourselves.) He's just going through this horrible phase....but it really makes me feel better just typing it out!!!
    Thank you ladies for being so sweet and helpful!!!

I agree that this is likely a combination of jealousy and anger at having to share his mommy and while valid 'feelings' totally not an acceptable manner for communicating them.

I would totally 'redirect' the inappropriate behaviour and like others suggested put him in a pack and play 'away' from the group with the message 'you need to be GENTLE if you want to be with us' when he is calm let him return to the group and show the child the hurt child GENTLE and make amends before being able to return to play ... some kids will tolerate a hug from a child who 'hurt them' but others might need a high five or other means of amends like getting them a cold cloth for their boo boo or something.

When you CAN give him some special one on one t ime with just you ... I know with some providers they put all the other crew down for nap and put their OWN down last and they have some specially mommy and me time reading a book and having a snuggle before nap or vise verses they get their own up FIRST after quiet time and have some special time before inviting the other friends to get up.

Also making sure that he has special space and toys in the home that he does not have to SHARE ... so in his room or in the family room somewhere that the daycare kids do not get to GO has things that are only his and it is his special place in the home.

We ask a lot of children to open up their home and their mamas to 'strangers' ... it is bad enough learning to share with siblings but these are 'strangers' initially
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Opps opened my window to respond and than made a cup of tea while you were posting
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi