Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How should parents prepare their kids for childcare?

After having read some many of these posts I have decided that it would be smart to just automatically include a sheet that lists how a parent can start to prepare their child for a group setting, for example, teaching them to be patient, that they have to wait to get something, not running to them at every cry, allowing them to try and eat more independently etc.....What would you list?

Hmmmm.....I can sum that up pretty quick:

1. Get them on MY nap schedule
    2. Stop picking them up or otherwise responding to "nonsense" or manipulative crying.

If EVERY parent did just those two things above my transitioning days would be wonderful.

Shy
    This was a thread back in October and it was called "Suggestions for parents to help their child transition into group daycare". There were lots of great ideas! I really like the list from mom-in-alberta and have used it often

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookie For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Yes, everything Judy said .... I personally think it makes life easier if parents have already introduced a wide variety of foods to their little ones as I don't introduce new foods here. (Fish,eggs,soy etc)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunflower For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Judy nailed it! The parents should make sure they know the schedule and have their child on the same basic routine for meals and naps so their bodies are ready for an easy transition there.

And I have had the 'you don't have to pick them up every time they cry' talk many times with parents. Of course when they start with you at daycare you need bonding and transitioning time for a while so there are extra hugs but they have to learn to play independently and with their friends and not to need an adult's attention all the time.

I find anything else can be learned with some time and by having routines in place. You get to know the children very well when they start with you and can work on areas where they may be behind and catch them up depending on their ages.

Euphoric !
    I give them a one-page handout... "How to Prepare Your Child for Childcare".
    Can't find the thread I posted it on, and I am not on my laptop. I will post it for you when I get a chance, though.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh; I found the previous post! Each paragraph is supposed to be in point form, making it a little easier to read, but you get the idea....

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR CHILDCARE

Beginning childcare can be both a nerve-wracking and exciting experience, for parent and child. Here are a few tips to make this transition easier on you, your child, and your provider.

Begin adjusting your routine early. Up to a few months before you expect to go back to work, start waking your child each morning at the time you anticipate to be waking up. Have breakfast, get dressed and be `ready for the day`, even if you are staying home. This makes for far less hectic mornings when you do begin dropping your child off at the allotted time. You will also find out whether schedules or routines will need to be adjusted (i.e.; child may require a morning nap again, even if they had given it up).
    Discuss the daily schedule with your provider. There may be differences in what you do at home, and what will be occurring during child care. Especially if your child will be attending regular, full-time care, it is usually a good idea to adapt your daily schedule to whatever routine your child can expect while there. Plan snacks, meals and naps based on what your provider has told you. Again, the earlier this is started, the easier it is on everyone. If you have any concerns about meal or nap time, discuss them with your provider, as there is usually a reason (i.e.; school pick-ups that must be done, etc). This is why it is important to find a provider whose daily activities `make sense` for your child.
    Prepare your child to be more independent. In a multi-child environment, a provider will find it difficult if your child has not had the opportunity to learn to hold a cup or bottle, self feed (finger foods, introduction of cutlery etc) and soothe themselves at nap time. Begin to allow your child to play `on their own` if they don’t usually. Show them what a particular toy does, and then retreat and watch them play independently for a little while. Try putting your child to sleep for their nap in a playpen in a different room, awake and without toys (it is against regulations in most areas for a provider to give them a stuffy, etc). When snuggling, make sure that you are holding your child, and that THEY are holding the bottle or sippy cup.
    Ensure that they are used to being around other children. If your child has not had much exposure to playing with or around other kids, they may find it incredibly overwhelming to suddenly be sharing space with 2, 3 or more unfamiliar faces their own age. Take your child to busy, loud places like indoor playgrounds or enrol in a couple of playgroup sessions.
    Give your child `room to grow`. For the last 9 to 12+ months, you have watched your child’s development with wonder and amazement. You have cheered on everything from their first smile, to sitting up, to (perhaps) their first steps and words with enthusiasm, as well you should have. Don’t stop now! Sometimes when a parent returns to work they subconsciously try to keep their babies babies, and a form of regression occurs. At this age level, it seems as though children are trying something new every day. Although it may feel like you are going to miss out on that, rest assured, you will not. Mommies and Daddies still take 1st place in the eyes of a child!
    Remember that each child reacts differently to a situation. Some little ones settle in within a few days, while others can take many weeks to become comfortable in a new setting. In general, a child attending care full-time will take less time than one attending part time. A child with siblings or a lot of exposure to other children, or a child who has been cared for by people other than parents, usually has an easier time than one whose experience with socialization is limited to immediate family. Give yourself and your child the necessary time to adjust to this new arrangement and discuss any concerns with your provider.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

awesome...where is this from, besides the thread? Is it from somebody's website, or is it from someone on these boards? I would love to use it in my contract, but would like to give credit where credit is due.

Euphoric !
    I believe it's mom in albertas creation

Euphoric !
    That's an awesome, informative little handout to give to new parents!