Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Last Minute Tax Questions

Morning Ladies,

Was just going over all my totals to send everything off to the accountant and I always worry that they look too high. Is anyone willing to share their amounts for Food, Craft Supplies and Office Supplies? We purchase all food together and then the accountant just takes a percentage, but I find it shocking just how much is spent in food in one year, wow!

I am embarrassed to admit that I have not even started this year

All my stuff is separated into the piles waiting for me to get motivate to do the data entry ... the weather got so nice so fast I just did not want to spend March INSIDE doing taxes

I do hear ya though ... 2010 tax year I spent $17,345 on GROCERIES between the daycare and personal use...I wrote off $7,702 of that as 'daycare related' .... that works out to be about $192 / week for 'home use' and $160 a week for 'daycare use' ... which is reasonable $6.40/day/child.

My TOTAL expenses for 2010 were rounded up $28,000 ... however we bought the van that year so I bought carseats x 5 which was over $1000 investment, I attend A LOT of professional development both locally and around the Province so that adds up too cause I want to maintain my Certification with my ECE so those are write offs many will not have, I also do photo documentation and portfolios for the children that year and spent over $2000 in ink, paper, plastic sleeves and binders for that along - I have since STOPPED that service and do 'digital portfolio' now for kids cause it is WAY cheaper.... oh and that year a daycare kid broke my toilet by trying to flush a toy down it and it cracked the 'seal' under the toilet trying to pass and the kid kept 'flushing' while I was busy getting the others down at nap time and did not notice and it flooded bathroom so bad it damaged the living room ceiling - so I had $1700 in 'maintenance and repair' for that alone
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    My total 100% expenses for the daycare were $21,550.99. This includes food,office supplies, toys, cell phone, maintenance, bank fees etc.

Phew glad to know I am not alone with the over $20,000 in 'normal' expenses .... and seriously people wonder WHY there is a shortage of childcare though ... cause honestly even being FULL with the 5 kids with a 'top' of the base fee of $175 a week and working 50 weeks a year after expenses that leaves and net income of $21, 750 .... or $435 a week or $87 a day and we often work 11 hours a day ... so we make $7.91 an hour

And how often do we operate full all 50 weeks?

Not to mention most of us do not charge the high end in our communities and so forth!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    all I have to say is HOLY CRAP!!

I now see daycare's in a whole new way, but I love you for everything that you do and always have!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parentof1 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    In a year in which I had many older kids, I spent over 20k on food alone. Yikes....

Outgoing
    Thanks ladies!