Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations

jec

Vaccinations

This is a super charged topic but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on this. This is something that I have in my contract that all children must be up to date on all vaccinations.
    I have just had an interview with a family who does not vaccinate. Now after doing some more reading on the subject, a vaccinated child can't catch anything from a child who may get something by not being vaccinated.
    Now I'm wondering why I have it in my contract, as it was something I put in due to my own beliefs but then, it's personal choice.
    Right? thoughts ladies

Euphoric !
    Many of the vaccinations do not prevent the child from getting the illness just reduces the severity. For that reason some programs restrict unvaccinated children during an outbreak because it is believed they are more likely to catch the illness, be sicker and more likely to pass it on to the others who will then catch it even though it will me less severe but they will still be out of the program. Whether that logic makes sense or not - well the jury is still out. Some unvaccinated children are the most healthy ones out there but that doesn't mean they won't catch a virus as it passes through.

My kids are all older so most of the vaccinations available now were not available to them or my other daycare kids at the time and there was no increase in any of the diseases they vaccinate against now so I tend to be on the skeptical side as to whether this is a good thing to do or not. I totally leave it up to the parents to make a decision for their own child.

If you are going to accept the new family do you then have to let the other families in your care know about the change in the contract since they signed on fully knowing that all children would be vaccinated. Some may have very definite opinions too. Just something to think about.

I tend to leave some controversal things like this out of my contract so I can decide on a case by case basis. If I have a family come and they are adament one way or the other it can be a issue in the sense of will that family try to influence all future dealings with families.

Basically, your business, your rules. I am not a big vaccinations advocate. I don't ask whether a child has been vaccinated during interviews. I don't care.

Outgoing
    Doesn't matter to me either. Its the parents choice in what they believe in. I do ask for a copy of the vaccinations if they have had them, but that's only to keep on record in case their child ever had to be transported to the hospital. I would want the hospital to have ALL the info on the child. My own children are vaccinated, but I have daycare kids who are not. To be honest, the ones who are NOT vaccinated have been the healthiest this year...

Yup mine reads that children need to have immunization records kept up to date or a written record of excemption on file or a letter from Dr outlining a delayed VAX schedule ... this covers all belief systems and if there is an outbreak of something it allows me to quickly work with public health to notify who needs to go into quarantine due to not being vaccinated ... Win win for all
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Yup mine reads that children need to have immunization records kept up to date or a written record of excemption on file or a letter from Dr outlining a delayed VAX schedule ... this covers all belief systems and if there is an outbreak of something it allows me to quickly work with public health to notify who needs to go into quarantine due to not being vaccinated ... Win win for all
    Mine is similar in that I would like their record of vaccinations for their health records. Incase of outbreak or transfer of care but that is it! It is 100% up to the parents if they choose to vaccinate or not!

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    It is 100% up to the parents if they choose to vaccinate or not!
    I agree, that is not what I'm saying. It is a personal choice for sure!

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    This is great Reggio! Win win for all. Cool if I borrow your policy!! I wouldn't want to offend anyone with their choice for their kids but this way, I have things covered.

Quote Originally Posted by jec View Post
    This is great Reggio! Win win for all. Cool if I borrow your policy!! I wouldn't want to offend anyone with their choice for their kids but this way, I have things covered.
    Ya - go ahead I borrowed the concept from centre care practices
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    My vaccination policy states that all shots must be received on a Friday so the child will be home for the weekend in case of any adverse reactions such as fever. It is also to protect any children in my care who have parents who do not believe in vaccinations and I do have one family like that.

I respect the families decisions but I do insist on knowing whether they are vaxers or not so I can protect their children properly.