Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Special Needs Children

Do any of you care for them? I have one child (my own kid) who is special needs, how would caring for a special needs child work in a group setting?

Starting to feel at home...
    I think that it really depends on the needs of the child and the "group" that you are caring for. Each special needs child is different and may require different "modifications" to your program.

Euphoric !
    I also have my own special needs child. Generally I accept any child into care depending on their abilities or limitations. We have a basement playroom so child must be able to crawl up the stairs or be a very petite child I will be able to carry for a year or more. Because I care only for infants and toddlers I just integrate them to the group. I do not take anaphalctic allergies of any sort given that I am the only adult on site so to treat a child needing emergency care puts the others at risk due to supervision. I used to allow therapists in my house but have stopped that as it was too disruptive or the others didn't understand the one child getting special treatment. The exception now is my own daughter is a trained music therapist and comes and does music with the whole group but would let her come and just have some special activities added to the session with the special needs child in mind. I have charged the parents a bit more per day to offset the amount of individual attention their child will be getting.

Shy
    Hi there. I provide care in my home and have experience with special needs children that includes g-tube feeding, chest therapy, medication and supplementation delivery and therapy equipment use and handling. I think it depends on the child's individual needs both cognitively and physically in regards to a multiple child setting. I have posted on my member page that I am available for respite relief in a parent's home in the evening if need be as sometimes it is easier to go to the child then bring the equipment to a caregiver's house, but social interaction is still very important. These special children need the socialization and enjoyment of being in the community and with other children to flourish just as much as the ones that don't have special needs. Their spark and love of life can turn any frown upsidedown!

This comes first hand from my little angel up in heaven who passed away some years ago but left behind a legacy of love and lessons learnt of how precious life is. Enjoy every day and be the best person you can be! But most of all as Ghandi said "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Hope the information helped a bit and good luck!

Take good care,

Miss Michelle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Michelle For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Sorry for the loss of your dear one Miss Michelle. Your post ........ thank you.

Shy
    Miss Michelle, thank you for sharing that with us. So sorry for your loss.

Expansive...
    I am so sorry for you loss.

respite care has been a huge blessing to us

Shy
    so sorry Michelle.

I too have a special needs child. It has been a challenge mainly when it comes to stuff like her sensory issues and they dont understand her screaming and outburst and her inability to control her anxiety and meltdowns over small minor things. the dck have a hard time understanding why she has a special spot to eat and a place to just chill and watch TV in my room after a day at school. I try to explain it simply to them mainly cause JKs cant really understand autism and sensory.