Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...
    I had this last year and think about it the parents don't have time to take them outside. Also most of them were probably too small last year to do too much exploring and now your it! Put a big blanket out with a few of there favorite inside toys and books and trust me they will start to explore on there own especially when they see the bigger ones doing what it is they should be doing! LOL

Also put out a small dishpan with water and suds with a few little people they will go crazy!

Starting to feel at home...
    Personally I wouldn't even worry about it if they just stand there oh well. They will start playing eventually without your help especially watching the other kids have fun. I have kids who dont like to get dirty but they run around like crazy out side sometimes they get upset and I have to clean them up but thats it.

Euphoric !
    I have bought a lot of science related books from scholastic and a lot of our activities centre around the world around us. They love to stand at the window and watch the birds, squirrels and resident wild bunnies - which get less wild each year. When they are outside they continue to look for spiders, check out what is under the log etc. Sandbox is the biggest hit.

With some groups I have had to introduce how to play with the idea of ok guys the climber is a ship and we are going sailing then get them doing appropriate things including looking out for pirates. It might be the next day or a week later but you will start to see them get on the climber and play the game themselves. What most kids lack is the imagination - not enough of watching Barney, lol.

Give the toys a purpose but then don't hold them to doing that such as giving them a soccer net - ie a target to kick or roll the ball at.

You have to remember too as someone mentioned these kids were too little last year to do much outside so they are seeing some of these things for the first time. By the time parents get the kids home at the end of the day not many of them go outside - it is now dark, time to eat, bath, bed. You will need to demonstrate what each toy can do then they will be able to do it themselves if they want to. IF they choose not to then at least you know you did your part.

Euphoric !
    This sounds strange! My daycare children LOVE to be outside and I always warn the parents that the muddier they are the more fun they had outside. We travel a lot, to the library once a week, to three different parks (I switch them up weekly) and I have a play area outside that we use once or twice a week too but it's small, just slides, water table, and of course a place for digging near my garden.

I agree that you should just encourage them and when they are ready they will play. My group really loves to chase bubbles and play with balls outside too.

Expansive...
    lol my kids are banging on the darn door to get out! Thankfully, they all like to be out,

Yesterday the 4 year old just sat there with big crocodile tears and claimed that it was just too sunny out (we were sitting in the shade!). Wonder if she has some sort of light sensitivity?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Yesterday the 4 year old just sat there with big crocodile tears and claimed that it was just too sunny out (we were sitting in the shade!). Wonder if she has some sort of light sensitivity?
    Do you insist the parents all provide sunhats and sunglasses for their children to be left at daycare all summer? I do, and also splashpants. We are outside every day possible and if everything is always here at daycare already then everybody is equipped with nobody holding us back because one child is not ready, you know?

What do the parents say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Do you insist the parents all provide sunhats and sunglasses for their children to be left at daycare all summer? I do, and also splashpants. We are outside every day possible and if everything is always here at daycare already then everybody is equipped with nobody holding us back because one child is not ready, you know?

What do the parents say about this?
    Yes, for sure everyone has hats & other appropriate weather gear...and we have 2 boys, so what they don't have I can dig up extra of. But I had never thought of asking parents to supply sunglasses?! Would be good to try, especially for this little girl. Re: What do parents say. Mom says that the kids don't really go outside at home (they live on a farm!). Mom is a clean freak/germaphobe, so I'm not really suprised.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Stranger and stranger. I grew up on a farm and we were always outside until sundown. I don't have cubbies because my entrance hallway is narrow so my Mom sewed some drawstring bags (I don't sew) and we keep the daycare sunhat & sunglasses in there all summer and the extra hats & mittens in there all winter. It's in my contract under the portion of supplies expected from the parents.

A miracle occurred! On a normal day, the babies nap in the AM (8:30 to 10 then snack and outside for everyone until lunch) and everyone else naps after lunch. 4 year old was just in total meltdown by 8:30am...so I had her nap same time as the babies. She's been a dream ever since! I put her responsible for lining everyone's coats and boots up by the door among other chores to prep us all going outside. She was absolutely thrilled and actually played outside this time. Of course, this afternoon...she was wide awake when I would have had 2 + hrs of downtime but quiet time is easy enough with a 4 year old who loves books and craft projects.

~Anonymous~