Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

We're outside...now what?

I have a 4 year old, 14 month old (both girls and siblings) and a 18 month old boy who seem to have no desire to be outside or know what to do with themselves once they're out. I am fortunate to have 2 play outside play areas which I rotate them playing in. 1 is at the front of our house (driveway and the end of a small, very quiet dead end street); and out front we use sidewalk chalk, ride ons etc. Backyard is typical fenced in yard...sandbox, playstructure, big oversized balls, sensory table, playhouse. I also have bins of other things I bring out at random (bubbles, ribbons, jump ropes etc.). What am I missing here? The 2 girls are pretty new here (& ironically live on a farm...you'd think they'd love it outside!). The little boy I have had since I opened (9 months now) and he has never been an outside kid. Am I missing something here? There's a lot to be said about having the right toys...but in my opinion, a lot more to be said about them exploring and finding their own thing to do (like the rest of my little ones love to do outside).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I have the exact same problem with most of my crew. I have 2 little ones who LOVE to be outside and play with the toys and the climbers and love the park...but then i have 3 others who refuse to do anything. They just stand there like garden gnomes lol. I have tried everything too and am at a loss as to how to engage them. I have tried games like what time is it mr. wolf, simon says. I bring out bubbles, balls, ribbons, etc. We go to the park and its the same thing...Inside they still need a lot of guidance and free play is not their favourite, but I love outside time and its mandatory in my daycare, but I feel so bad for them just standing there. They are 23 months and 2.5. Would love some advice on this one too

Thanks Michelle! We try so hard! Phew...good to know I'm not alone!

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    Nope not alone at all. Thought I was just crazy that the kids in my care don't like to be outside. Weird too because the parents all say they take their kids outside and they love to play outside, but honestly they just stand like statues!!! Makes me so sad to think they are not having fun! I'm sure the ladies on here will come up with some ideas that we haven't tried.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi!! I don't understand this at all...maybe their parents never take them outside???? I try to spend as much time as possible outside with my dck!!! I also find that the less 'toys' we have the more fun they seem to have! They all love really basic things like hide and seek, running, rolling down the hill and hunting for bugs!! They are 2, 22 months and 3. It makes me sad that some kids don't know how to play outside but I don't really have any advice on how to teach that! Maybe try playing something like tag or trying a little scavenger hunt where you look for special leaves, grass, bugs etc. We get really dirty here.....maybe your little guys don't like getting muddy?

Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    Nope not alone at all. Thought I was just crazy that the kids in my care don't like to be outside. Weird too because the parents all say they take their kids outside and they love to play outside, but honestly they just stand like statues!!! Makes me so sad to think they are not having fun! I'm sure the ladies on here will come up with some ideas that we haven't tried.
    Ha ha Michelle...was just typing when you posted same thing!!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily3 View Post
    Ha ha Michelle...was just typing when you posted same thing!!!
    I am so surprised too Emily. I thought all kids loved being outside. Never had anyone who didn't have fun outside. Most of my guys get mad when we don't get to go outside! The one dck does freak out when she gets dirty though so maybe that's it. Doesn't like to have ANYTHING on her hands. She literally wipes them on baby wipes the entire meal time just in case. I'm thinking she's a little OCD but mom and dad think its normal...sigh...who am I to argue lol We get pretty dirty here..I'm one of those ones who thinks as long as they are safe and having fun they can always be washed!

I feel exactly the same....luckily my parents here do too. The more dirt, the more fun!

Bingo! That's probably it with the 2 girls I have...Mom is super OCD with cleanliness and I do see that with them at mealtime during which I always let them self feed (4 year old says that her mom always feeds her sister the 14 month old, because she's so messy). Duh, why didn't I think of that?!

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I must be pretty lucky with my kids cause they all love to be outside but I did have one 2 yr old dcb and he started at the beginning of the year and he had no idea of how to walk in the snow so he just stood there but after a few weeks of watching the others climb the snow hill and many games of "follow the leader" up the snow hill he was an old pro....and admittingly he parents said they didn't take him outside .... Now he's the first one at the gate to get his outdoor gear on. Can't wait for some much warmer weather !!