Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing hours

apples and bananas

Changing hours

I currently have 1 PT girl that is here 2 - 3 days a week. I took her on with the understanding that it would be mostly until 5pm, but some nights she may need 7pm. I charge her accordingly of course. However, the 7pm pick ups are starting to intrude on my family time. And there are suddenly more 7pm's then 5pm's. This is partially my own fault as I didn't ask specific enough questions during the interview. I'll chalk that up to a learning experiance.

She's been with me for 5 months, but the 7pms are too exhausting. I need to change my hours! And I understand I may loose her because of the change. And that's ok, I'm confident I can fill the space quickly.

I'm thinking of giving her notice of the time change to the end of the month. She gives me her schedule 2 months at a time, and I currently have it until the end of April. Do you think this is enough time? Is it ok if I email her over the weekend? I don't want it to look like I don't have the guts to tell her to her face, but I also have other children I'm watching when she picks up and I don't feel that we can have a conversation about it at that time.

Any thoughts? I'm feeling bad as I know this family needs the care until 7 and this little girl does really well here. (she came from a daycare where she wasn't doing well at all) But I also have to worry about the well being of my own family and it cuts into too much quality time with my kids.

Expansive...
    Absolutely do what is best for you. I would absolutely not be able to work until 7pm either...dinner, homework, errands, baths, family time, bed time...it's all too much!! I do most of my important correspondance with families via email because then I can say exactly what I wantto say without stumbling along and forgetting to say something important lol. I also like everything in writing!! If this were MY child, I would keep her with you since she has done so well, and have her grandparents/aunt pick her up on days that she needs care until 7. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

This is exactly what I sent out to my families:

Hi All,

I am just sending out an email to everyone so that we are all on the same page. When I first started doing home daycare, it was with the stipulation that I would still be able to be there for my kids. We have been finding that my hours are starting to interfere with homework, dinner and general care of my own children. Therefore, effective immediately, I can no longer provide courtesy services to any family. Effective immediately, my work hours are 7 am to 5 pm. I will be strictly adhering to them. I realize that this may cause problems with some parents, and please know that I do welcome you to make alternate child care arrangements without penalty. I ask that you please understand that my first priority must be with my own family.

Thank you very much for your understanding,

Alphaghetti

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Lou

apples and bananas
    Fantastic letter Alphagetti, and straight to the point. I re read my draft email that I was going to send out and it was way to appologetic and emotional. Yours is polite, and to the point.

I appreciate your feedback.

Expansive...
    LOL'ing that you signed it 'Alphaghetti' for us. Ha!

Expansive...
    Least make it a phone conversation if you can't do it face to face. Seems like you have a decent relationship with these people so they deserve at least that.

I think you are giving more than enough time. its a whole month

Euphoric !
    Don't feel bad. There is so much to learn in the home daycare business. One important thing to learn is that as caregivers and nurturers we give so much of ourselves to the children, but then we have to separate ourselves as businesswomen too when dealing with the parents and setting our daycare hours, rules, rates, etc. It takes a while to learn all of that. I started out giving way too much of myself and learned to take better care of myself by making the rules. You will too!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: