Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar

Events outside the dayhome

How do you deal with invitations to get togethers or birthday parties of the kids you provide care for. I was invited to a birthday party of one of the kids but don't know how to deal with it. I don't want to get to personal with the families as i want to try and keep things as perfessional as possible.
    I don't want to just keep coming up with excuses to not go... how would you tell the parents that you cant go?

Euphoric !
    Depends. You could flat out tell them that you are not comfortable blurring the lines between professional and personal.
    Or, like myself, you just happen to be unavailable that day. Don't make up a story, just say you can't make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm a firm believer in honesty! I agree that there should be lines between work and personal life too. Although, I do tend to get very friendly with my daycare families and would consider some of the Mom's as friends once care was done for their child...until then...I try to keep it as professional and friendly as possible. I do birthday parties for the kids at the daycare. We buy them a little gift and card from myself and my family...and then the little ones all make and decorate cards to send home a couple days before their birthday I would tell the truth, that as much as you would love to come to the party, you think its best that you keep daycare away from your personal life. Just my opinion though.

Starting to feel at home...
    Personally, I would go with mom in Alberta and just say sorry but you can't make it, if you do not want to go. I think that parents forget that we operate as a business and invite us to birthday parties because they consider our children to be friends since they spend everyday together!!! For toddlers, their daycare peers are the natural choice for parties! It is much easier when the kids are older and have dropoff parties where the parents don't stay, then the kids can be friends without you having to blur your business relationship.

I agree with respecting the lines of professional distance from clients you can have a relationship without getting TOO personal - you can be honest without being BRUTALLY honest

I would also thank them for the invite and send my regrets that I am otherwise committed that day and leave it at that ... IMO that is the HONEST truth - you are committed to something else they just do not need to know the brutal truth that you are committed to painting your toes that day because you do not want to spend your weekend and down time around a bunch of kiddies at a birthday party
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    Thanks ladies. The thing is I don't even have any children of my own so makes it a little more awkward to go. It's just that this family has already invited before and have been saying no. I just feel bad just saying no all the time lol. I guess I am a bit of a worry wart and sometimes make a big deal about simple things lol.

Euphoric !
    I think it is a wonderful compliment that they respect and care about you enough to invite you to the party! If you really don't want to spend your free time with the children I can completely understand that. We spend 40-45 hours a week with these little ones and care about them so much but we definitely need our 'me' time! Can you just say that you have other plans but tell them how much you appreciate their thoughtfulness? That's honest but polite. I'm sure you do have other things you have to do, right?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I am invited to the kids birthday parties. My personal experience is that it is SUPER AWKWARD! Last year half the ladies were like 'SOOOOOO youre the AWESOME caregiver ******* found' but little else was said. They gave me beer to drink which I BADLY wanted but felt weird drinking with them. I felt like I shouldn't be there. I went to another and the family was great but somke family members were giving me the 'whats the babysitter doing here look' and then all they seemed to be able to talk to me about was how ahead THEIR children are in development. After this last birthday party for a little one turning one and coming into my care, I drew the line. No one spoke to me or engaged when I spoke to them, I felt like I shouldn't be there.

Really though . . . . I shouldn't be there

It's such a weird relationship we have with parents. We have to be some-what close because we take care of their children and love their children but this is also a business and you have to help an air of professionally.

I have birthday parties for the kids here. I now tell parents that this is THEIR special time with their child and that should enjoy it with family and friends only. I joke that I steal enough of their child's time already without me entering their social/home life.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

I would not go to a daycare child's birthday party. Nope. I would be honest about the reason as well.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't go either...thankfully I haven't been invited so far! In fact, I am thinking it may be something to add to the good old contract...so parents can read about the reasons ahead of time and not even have to invite you. I think sometimes parents invite us because they feel it is polite and that we may be offended/hurt if they don't. I remember being in the position with my son...wondering if I should or shouldn't invite his daycare provider. In the end I didn't, but felt kind of bad about it.