Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    I have to admit, my own son is the worst for this!! 1st child...

He's almost 3, and he KNOWS how to put on his winter gear, shoes, pants, etc. because he does it when he WANTS to. But honestly, when I want him to he "can't" and whines until I do it for him because the rest of the little ones are all dressed and getting fussy, so I feel like I HAVE to!

Washing hands, pulling up his pants, etc when going to the potty... Well he fights the potty, and anything to do with it, so again I just do it for him or he just won't do it.

AHHH any advice from you wonderful experienced ladies would be fabulous

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by lunademiel View Post
    I have to admit, my own son is the worst for this!! 1st child...

He's almost 3, and he KNOWS how to put on his winter gear, shoes, pants, etc. because he does it when he WANTS to. But honestly, when I want him to he "can't" and whines until I do it for him because the rest of the little ones are all dressed and getting fussy, so I feel like I HAVE to!

Washing hands, pulling up his pants, etc when going to the potty... Well he fights the potty, and anything to do with it, so again I just do it for him or he just won't do it.

AHHH any advice from you wonderful experienced ladies would be fabulous
    There's your problem, you do it for him and he knows he can MAKE you do it for him if he acts up and whines. YOU have to put your foot down and be tough and maybe suffer through a few weeks of tantrums, but wait him out until he does it himself. You are letting your child control you and you are letting him rule the house and you. YOU have to put a stop to it. It was me and 4 children when I was a young Mom and it's me and 5 daycare children now and I definitely don't let the children run things. No, it won't be easy but it WILL work if you are consistent. I tell my clients that I can out-stubborn any child and they can do it to so that they are 'parenting'.

Starting to feel at home...
    Only since I opened my dayhome have I realized the damage I've done... Not creating appropriate rules, boundaries, expectations, etc. I think that most parents only realize this either a) when they have a second child or b) when the children start daycare. My son was in a daycare that didn't really care wether he was able to put on his own shoes or was independent, she only care that he was happy. Which is not a bad thing, but he did not learn much nor did I. I find it so amazing how most of the providers on this site DO care about teaching these children life skills, especially those skills that are necessary for JK. You all motivate me to become a better mother AND provider!

Thanks!