Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    They do restaurant work, so they do not get paid stats. I imagine, however, that they have to be paid time and a half or something, as it is the law. I will send her an email this week about what happened. mom-in-alberta, I think I might say EXACTLY what you said.

Thanks everyone.

Euphoric !
    Actually restaurant people do get Paid stats .....I worked in the restaurant business for 15 yrs .... If you have been working there longer then 3 months you get paid based on your average hours .... If you actually work on the stat day you get time and a half ....but she would have got paid

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    They do restaurant work, so they do not get paid stats. I imagine, however, that they have to be paid time and a half or something, as it is the law. I will send her an email this week about what happened. mom-in-alberta, I think I might say EXACTLY what you said.

Thanks everyone.
    Even if they don't get paid stats - if it is in your contract then they pay.

I had a job where I was self employed and worked from home for over a year and did NOT get paid stats but my daycare provider still expected me to pay her and so I had no choice and I did.

I really don't think you owe her anything but good luck with the mom

Euphoric !
    Well here's another example. Last year I changed my contract to take today (Easter Monday) off and one Mom was paying the usual weekly fee last year and asked about the payment since she had to work the day. I reminded her that it was my first year to take that day off paid and it's in the contract. I also reminded her that Family Day is a paid day off in my contract too but I have a client who works for the Federal government and she has to work that day.

So every year I remind parents to check the days off stated in the contract and double check if they have to book it off ahead of time with their employers if it isn't normally a day off for them. Don't let anybody make you feel guilty for setting out rules for your business. Stand firm!

Euphoric !
    Good luck, Alpha!!
    And, they may get paid for stats... In Alberta, if you work on a stat (and it is a REGULARLY scheduled shift for you) you get regular pay PLUS time and a half. If you work and it's not a "usual" day for you, you get time and a half. And if you don't work, but it's a regularly scheduled shift for you, you receive normal pay for the average number of hours that you typically work.
    So either way, they are likely getting something. But to be fair, I don't know if it differs in your province.

Starting to feel at home...
    No way. If she brought that child Thursday, I would send her an invoice stating she owes $$ whatever your daily full time fee is. She didn't come Friday, but that is her choice. Even if you decide to let this go, I would still tell her. For me it's always easier to say these things face to face, that way there can be no miscommunication. I would say, you pay for Mon, Tue, Thurs & Fri. These days are not interchangeable. If you need me care for Thurs, you need to pay in addition to the other 4 days. It's not a drop in service. Clearly state all your paid stat days and that payment for these is always required if your child attends on that day.

Good luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zen39 For This Useful Post: