Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    But you are not charging her for a full week where she is only using 4 of the days are you? You are letting her come four days a week and pay your full-time daily rate. She shouldn't be able to just switch her days because a stat falls on one of her normal days. I would say you will let it go this time but in the future she will not be able to switch her days because of a stat (partly because you are full those days, but mostly because it isn't her regular day and if one of her regular days falls on a stat she has to pay for it with out a make-up day. I think the way your husband describes it is right on!

Euphoric !
    Ok so I'm confused ... Is she paying for 5days or 4days at the 5 day fee .... For instance if your daily rate is $40 .... Is she paying $160 (4days) or $200 (5 days but only attending for 4) ..... If she is paying for 5 days then you really can't say no as she is paying for it but if she is paying for 4 days then no she doesn't get the extra day because essentially then you are not getting paid for the stat. if she wants to come for the extra day she has to pay for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

She is paying for 4 days but is being given the full time rate, which is ten dollars less a day than my part time rate. She pays for four days and attends four days. What the mom is saying is that if she is able to send her for four days, and she has paid for four days, why shouldn't she?

I really don't know...it's a tough one. No, I technically wouldn't have been paid for the stat, but is a stat about having a day off with pay, or is it about the day off simply falling on a work day? ugh...see it's so confusing to me.

Nope. The entire point of a paid stat is for you to get a PAID day off. Parents are supposed to pay and , yes, lose that day of care. Gosh, it's IN the contract and it's not a hard concept to understand as most of the working world works this way.

I hate it when parents nickle and dime.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Nope ... you do not make up days here and you pay for stat holidays if they fall on your normally scheduled day!

Seriously part time clients are already getting 'special' consideration because they cost more to provide care to in the potential LOST INCOME if you cannot find someone to offset their schedule!

And in this case specially if you are charging her your daily full time rate when she is actually part time and you are loosing a days pay each week for the 'privilege' of providing service to her over another actual full time client ... why do clients have such a hard time GETTING this???

ETA seriously if she was FULL TIME how would she argue making up a 'day' that she missed?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    Just to be clear, I did not open for her. I still took Friday off, but her daughter came on Thursday, and she normally does not. I consider them full time, as they are 4 days a week. They pay full time daily fees, which are cheaper than my part time daily fees. IMO, they can`t have it both ways. Thing is, how to justify to them that they don`t deserve an extra day of care just because they had to pay for my stat holiday.

My husband likened it to his boss paying him for the stat on Friday, and then telling him that because he was paid a day he didn`t work, he should come in on Sunday to make it up. Know what I mean...
    I totally agree with your hubby on this.

The stat fell on her regular day so it should therefore be payable.

Does your contract say that you get paid for stats?

I have never heard of a replacement day. I know 99% of people had Good Friday off paid and I doubt their bosses are asking them to come in on another day to make up for it. lol

I have PT families and if the stat falls on a day where they are contracted to bring their child - they pay. Someone who comes MTWF would pay for any monday or Friday stat as they come. I have some parents who are part time for MTW and I would charge them any Monday stat only but not a Friday.

The mom expecting a make up day is reaaaaaallllly wrong, hands down in my opinion.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    She is paying for 4 days but is being given the full time rate, which is ten dollars less a day than my part time rate. She pays for four days and attends four days. What the mom is saying is that if she is able to send her for four days, and she has paid for four days, why shouldn't she?
    But don't you have a written contract/rate/day agreement with her stating which 4 days she comes? they are not interchangeable if she signed to come specifically on MTWF

Euphoric !
    I agree .... If Friday was her normal day and she only pays for four days then the stat is a paid day off and no day is given for replacement. That parent is trying to pull a fast one.

Euphoric !
    I would not be giving her a replacement day. She is only paying for 4 days, yes. But she IS paying the lower rate, which you DO NOT have to offer her.
    I would explain to her that you apologize for any confusion, as she caught you on an off-moment, but upon consideration, you cannot accomodate that extra day. You are sorry, but Friday was a statutory holiday, and as per your CONTRACT, you are closed. Although it is unfortunate that it fell on her regularly scheduled day, it was not originally agreed that you would "make up" those days. You have scheduled your other part time clients around her stated days of care, and are unable to change that, as you would then be over the agreed upon number of children in your care at any one time.
    PS- you know she's going to do this for every stat, right? I suppose you could tell her that it's fine this one time, but in the future, you will NOT be swapping out days.
    What do you think? Was she genuinely confused, or is she trying to squeeze every last bit out of you??