Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Parents Asking for A Replacement Day for Having to Pay for Stat?

I have a family who is MTWF. Mom didn't pay me for the stat, and I had to tell her that I am paid for stats. She apologized and paid up, but on Thursday morning she called me and said that she thought is was only fair that she send dcg to my house on her day off, as she paid for Friday and can't send her.

I was on the spot, didn't have time to think, and said that I guessed that made sense, and that she could come. I can't figure out whether I did the right thing. Should I have let the dcg come, as they paid for four days but only got three? I kind of feel ripped off, to be honest. Maybe I shouldn't.

I won't always be able to accommodate this situation, though. I just happened to be one child down that day, and next Thursday before stat, I won't have room for her.

Should I email the mom and say that? Or should I just let it go?

I am closed for all stats and never offer a "make up" day....If someone asks me this. I say "no go Joe"

I had someone ask me to stay open for thier regular rate, add I said no. I told her I could be open but it would be $100.00 on top of her rate, and she declined saying she'd find other care....She just needed incentive LOL

Also too if you do it once it will become an expectation
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 04-06-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more info

Starting to feel at home...
    I definitely wouldn't allow a make-up day. Did she get the day off with pay? If not her hubby probably did! Why shouldn't you? Why should you have to lose money just because there is a stat holiday! This is one of the reasons I don't take part-time daycare kids. It is always their parents who are asking for discounts. They need to realize there are lots of parents that will take that spot full-time and never think twice about having to pay for a stat.

Euphoric !
    My parttime family paid for the stat even if it wasn't their regularly scheduled and it was never a problem and they never asked for a makeup day ....I would have said no

Euphoric !
    How about this: I do sincerely apologize for my confusion when speaking to you on the phone but I was taken aback by your request and after serious consideration I have realized that I cannot accomodate your request. My contract clearly states the days my daycare is closed for stat/unpaid holidays and the Good Friday holiday is definitely listed as one of the closed paid days. I do work very hard, long days at my daycare and am a dedicated caregiver and when I have a long weekend to relax I come back to my profession rested and ready to give all of my efforts to the children.

Ok, just off the top of my head ideas for you to work with but feel free to take anything you want from my ideas and good luck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Just to be clear, I did not open for her. I still took Friday off, but her daughter came on Thursday, and she normally does not. I consider them full time, as they are 4 days a week. They pay full time daily fees, which are cheaper than my part time daily fees. IMO, they can`t have it both ways. Thing is, how to justify to them that they don`t deserve an extra day of care just because they had to pay for my stat holiday.

My husband likened it to his boss paying him for the stat on Friday, and then telling him that because he was paid a day he didn`t work, he should come in on Sunday to make it up. Know what I mean...

Outgoing
    No way would I let them come an extra day for free because of a stat.

So what do I say? How do I word it?

Euphoric !
    If you are charging them a full fee for the week then she is technically entitled to bring her child all 5 days. The fact she "normally" only uses 4 days is a bonus to you. In this case she is in her right to bring the child on Thursday instead of Friday if she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    If you are charging them a full fee for the week then she is technically entitled to bring her child all 5 days. The fact she "normally" only uses 4 days is a bonus to you. In this case she is in her right to bring the child on Thursday instead of Friday if she wants to.
    See, this is something I couldn't figure out - whether I was being rational or not. Problem is, I only take four kids on any given day. I will not always be able to accommodate her on the Thursday. So, how do I word this?