Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Painting with shaving cream and Elmer's Glue

I was looking at a blog site where they suggested painting with elmer's glue and shaving cream to make puff paint.
    Has anyone done this and does it really dry so that the kids could take it home??

Euphoric !
    I did try this last year but I put in too much shaving cream and not enough glue. Also, I added blue food colouring because we were painting the ocean I think. Doesn't it have to be measured 50/50? I mis-mixed! Anyway it didn't dry and it just slowly poofed out from fluffy to flat. But the kids had a fantastic time playing with it as a different medium that they don't usually have, so all in all it was fun. But you can learn from my mistake and that's always a good thing too.

Euphoric !
    Sounds pretty cool!

Euphoric !
    I found a recipe on Pinterest for "cloud dough".... flour and oil (they recommend baby oil, but you can apparently use cooking oil). Looked pretty fun!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    I found a recipe on Pinterest for "cloud dough".... flour and oil (they recommend baby oil, but you can apparently use cooking oil). Looked pretty fun!
    Oooh, share! How do you make it please?

Euphoric !
    I have seen a couple variations... but the general "recipe" is 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of baby oil, mixed with your hands. It forms a soft powdery substance that feels like sand, but when molded (squeezed between hands or pressed into shapes) holds together.
    The jury seems to be out on whether baby oil is the safest choice. The pro: smells lovely and fresh. The con: when inhaled, baby oil can be very dangerous. If in doubt, I would use a cooking oil, and for a pretty smell, just add a few drops of essential oil. You can also add in glitter, and food coloring.
    Definitely on "the list".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Really, baby oil is dangerous when inhaled? It's a wonder the world has survived this far because back in the day we all used baby powder and baby oil. Now I wonder what it's made from. Thanks for the recipe though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I did this . . . It was fun but less than perfect. when the glue and the shaving cream mixed it created these globs that were hard to paint with. once we just used our fingers and spread it around we were fine. then it dried and the paint jut flaked off the paper. I'll definitely do it again but I'm sure the parents wouldn't mind that the mess was not sent home