Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar

Stay or send home

I have an almost 2 year old here today who has almost no voice and has been coughing and has chest conjestion. He is obviously sick but still plays and runs around like a regular day! Do I send him home or let him stay? Any thoughts ?

apples and bananas
    I'd probably let him stay unless he had a fever, was not able to participate in the daily routine or had a weezing sound in his chest. I have a little one that has a minor chest infection and he's been playing fine, but mom took him to the walk in due to the weezing. He's now on puffers.

If I was the mom, I'd at least want a phone call to let me know about the chest congestion.

Good luck! I hate it when they're sick, but it seems like they almost always are. I'm tempted to put a sign in my front hall some days "germ free for ___ days" lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    If he is up and playing/running around and active I would let him stay.
    If he suddenly gets lethargic and feverish then contact the mom.

He seems fine but it might be that mom gave him Tylenol before sending him so maybe that is why he is active thus far. Keep an eye on him and call mom if fever or tiredness suddenly appear.

I have a bunch of kids that arrived back today (first day I was open since Easter) with runny noses and coughs. I guess the sudden weather changes don't help the poor kids

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Well he was already somewhat sick last week and a lot worse this week. I will keep an eye and see how he does. Thanks ladies

Euphoric !
    I agree if it does not affect his play then I would let him stay but if a fever suddenly appears then yes it is likely he was given Tylenol or advil and I would question the parent cause the parent shouldn't medicate without telling you...... And in my opinion if a child needs Tylenol or advil for anything other then teething they shouldn't be at daycare.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would let him stay too unless I noticed a fever. I have one little one who is constant runny nose and wheezing. I'd never see him if I had to send him home each time haha. I'm too lenient with illness though...I don't tend to send home unless absolutely necessary..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have the same rules, as long as there is no fever you are pretty much sure that it is a virus and you can't escape those. Unfortunately, it's probably going to run through your whole daycare because this little guy is running around spreading his germs freely amongst his friends and you!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would be careful as I had a little one come like that awhile back and he woke up having difficulty breathing during naptime...it turned out he had croup. It was very scary because he was wheezing and trying to get air and crying. He also had a cold and then the first sign of croup was that he lost his voice. The fever came later when he woke up at naptime. Now, if a child loses their voice, I am very very careful and monitor them closely.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

An update... He did end up getting worse. Was constantly crying prob bc throat was hurting and just wanted to lay on the floor. I called mom to let her know and she decided to pick him up. He ended up having a fever in the evening and still has it so he will not be coming in today.

Oh poor guy ... I would have handled that the same way - sometimes kids act like that just cause they are 'teething' or fighting of a virus that you cannot 'treat' anyway ... so in absence of any concrete signs of communicable disease I would not have told her he HAD to go home but just called to up date her on how he was feeling and give a 'heads up' that something might be brewing and if he goes down hill further - aka a fever develops or he is really not coping and so forth - he might need to go home ... I generally find most clients who can will arrange to pick up in those scenarios and if they truly cannot leave work they will say 'I have a meeting / commitment this morning but will give my boss a heads up just in case - please call me back if anything changes and I will make arrangements to get there ASAP' type things.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: