Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetolive View Post
    I am a family of three (i have two kids) plus 12 day home children . My monthly budget is $800/month for groceries, including my day home. However i mostly due before and after school care so I don't have to provide lunch every day for the kids.
    Wow, how do you feed so many kids/people on such a little amount? I have a family of 4 and anywhere between 4 - 6 dckids here and I easily spend over $1000/month. I couldn't even imagine feeding 12 on such a small budget.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Shy
    Our grocery bill is usually $700.00 a month. I use my slowcooker, meal plan, shop for deals, and whatever else I can to keep it as low as possible.

I spend about $300/ week (for a family of 3 and 3 dck). Everybody eats like there is not Tomorrow! I serve organic food only with lots of produce in our meals. Before I was doing organic I was spending a little more than half of it with about the same amount of people... Unfortunately I do not have an organic farm to get my food and have to go to a healthy super market. Instead of paying $8 for a regular chicken I pay around $24 for an organic one for example...

Shy
    Does anyone do freezer cooking for thier daycare?
    Also, anyone out there have a menu that repeats? Or do you go based on the childrens taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Does anyone do freezer cooking for thier daycare?
    Also, anyone out there have a menu that repeats? Or do you go based on the childrens taste?
    When I am at full capacity I freezer cook. It saves prepping every weekend and/or cooking daily. I also don't serve left overs as my husband usually takes any to work the next day. Here is what I typically do.

I have a 3 week cycle which includes 15 meals. My recipes make enough for 3 of each meal so I have 9 weeks worth of meals. I can cook them all in a day at a push but as I typically have busy weekends I will split the cooking time between the two days Sat & Sun.

While I will make adaptions to my menu plan if the group specifically is not into soups for example or something else like that, I do not make my menu based on the current fad or power trip the kids are on lol I am not a restaurant where they get what they want. I am the adult and it is up to me to determine what they should have and then it's up to them to choose whether or not to eat it. The repetitive menu means that they get a few exposures to the meal to encourage them to acquire a taste to a particular food group that they may not necessarily favour initially.

I believe that by catering to their taste it encourages picky eaters. Once they learn that there is no alternative then they are more likely to try what I give them. Which by the way is delicious, homemade organic meals. Unfortunately if they are having heavily processed foods elsewhere that are gmo or full of , msg, salt, artificial sugars and simulated flavours then it does make this whole process more difficult. The fussy eaters get a much smaller portion initially so there is less waste and if they want more then I load them up :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't freezer cook, I buy my groceries weekly and use them up because I cook from fresh veggies and don't use much from a can or a box. My crockpot is my best friend. I don't have a set menu and I strive to give the children variety but once I learn their tastes I kind of serve the same things every week but in a different order. I haven't had any complaints yet, but I don't believe children get bored with food, I believe as long as you give them a good variety and they are hungry, they will be happy.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    I've been looking at the last few years and what providers were spending. People have told me I spend a lot on groceries. Three adults at home and 5 daycare kids and I spend app. $235 per week. This includes t.p. detergent, shampoo, vitamins (my husband has to take many vitamins) etc. which is all bought on sale. I serve meat and vegetables at every meal and bananas, yougurt, muffins etc at morning snack and fresh fruit at aft. snack. Dog food is separate. Winter is coming and crock pot meals will be more common. Now off to look at some new recipes for the crock pot.

Outgoing
    Well, I think you all do fabulously.

6 day care children, 2 teenagers and myself, and I easily spend $250-$300 a WEEK at the grocery store. That does included household toiletries, cat food, cleaning products, etc.