Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Healthy school snack ideas

My daughter just started kindergarten last week (yay!) - so begins sending healthy and NUT-FREE food to school. I am looking for some ideas and healthy recipes for snacks for her that are safe to send.

I tried to find nut-free granola bars at the grocery store that also don't have corn syrup and they don't seem to exist - anyone seen any? I also made some homemade granola bars but they were really crumbly.

We made bran muffins last week and banana bread this week, but need some other ideas.

Outgoing
    I will be following this thread closely, but I have nothing helpful to add. Sorry.

Euphoric !
    This week I made zucchini blueberry loaf and the kids LOVE it! http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog...-bread-favors/

I also added cinnamon an shredded zucchini to my pancake mix. Could send a pancake with some applesauce to dip into. French toast cut into strips would be good too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    My dd loves it when I take a pretzel stick and make it into a kabob with cheese on the end and a grape head !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    This week I made zucchini blueberry loaf and the kids LOVE it! http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog...-bread-favors/

I also added cinnamon an shredded zucchini to my pancake mix. Could send a pancake with some applesauce to dip into. French toast cut into strips would be good too.
    I totally forgot I have some gigantic zucchinis from my mom, have to use them! The recipe looks good, though I will alter it to use whole wheat flour and less sugar. I have been cutting sugar back by half in all my baking and it still tastes good.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    The only one of my kids in school is 16, but he loves bite-sized food, so some of his favourites might work for your daughter I'm assuming you don't need ideas for fruit/ veg, just carbs and protein?

- hummus and pita or pretzels
    - crackers and slices of cold sausage and/ or cheese
    - mini pitas with cream cheese and a slice of cucumber inside
    - pizza puffs (mini muffins with pizza ingredients in them- pepperoni, cheese, green peppers, sliced olives)
    -chick peas
    - homemade trail mix (pretzels, dried fruit, etc.- just leave out the nuts)
    - baked cinnamon-apple chips or sweet potato chips
    - homemade whole-wheat and oat cookies with raisins
    - these are a new favourite: http://www.hellowonderful.co/post/YU...rful%20readers!
    - homemade chex mix (leave out the nuts)
    - triscuits baked with cheese
    I really like the mini pita with cuccumber and cream cheese, that sounds good! Thanks for all the ideas

I am going to try the granola bites recipe. But I don't have mini muffin tins. Could I just make balls and put on cookie sheet?
    Last edited by AmandaKDT; 09-13-2014 at 07:09 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I made the granola bites today! I halved the sugar and used chocolate chips instead of raisins. I found the recipe a bit too dry so I added a little extra melted butter. I only had liquid honey on hand however if you use creamed honey I think they will stick better together.

Warning- they are super crumbly and dry and you will think you did something wrong. Push them in to the muffin tin and all will be fine!

Outgoing
    I don't know if you use Facebook but if you do, I love this page. I use it all the time for healthy option but also brilliant presentation ideas which appeal to little ones.

https://www.facebook.com/superhealthykids?fref=ts

Euphoric !
    I used old fashioned oats. I just found the mixture crumbly but it packed down well and they held together. I think my problem was in part because my honey had crystallized a bit and so until it melted in the oven the mixture wasn't very wet at all.

Euphoric !
    That's a good idea to cut back on the sugar. I didn't find it too sweet though.