Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rates

jec
    Seems that rates aren't all the same in each area...
    I'm the only one posted in Daycare Bear for my area and I can only go by what other's have told me and it seems that everyone here is all over the board. I guess based on what they offer too in regards to playroom on main level/basement and activities etc....

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    It amazes me the difference between some parents. I often ask myself why some families even chose to have children because when I meet with them I get the impression that they just can't be bothered with their kids...and then I meet with some on the flip side who are almost to the point of obsessed with their child...
    We do meet all types in this business don't we! I always go with my 'Spider sense' and if I get the twinge that something isn't right..I always listen

Ya the rates here range from $20 - $45 a day for full time depending on the area of the city you live in, the program you are offering - aka the lower end tends to be your 'illegal' programs with the $20 a day with no receipts and to be able to actually make a living they are 'warehousing' which is the term we tend to call those who care for more than 5 children legal allowed and this is very common in some areas and parents do not 'complain' because the service is cheap and they see it as 'their choice' and the government should mind their business about regulations and so forth the high end people tend to be the ones that live in the area of town were property taxes are very HIGH and the homes are larger and therefore the cost of operating a program is higher.

I am mid range at $32 for full time and $35 for part time .... however that is for the same rate 52 weeks of year regardless of attendance or me being open as it includes paid stats, 10 paid days of vacation for me and 10 paid personal days each year for me so in reality if you are comparing me to those who do not 'charge' for days they are closed than I am $35 for full time and $38 for part time.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    Wowie! Where abouts? Kanata? Riverside South?

I'm outside of Ottawa - just south, and will be raising my rates to $37/day for f/t (5 days) and $42/day for p/t (3-4 days). $20 for before and after school or $15 for just one or the other.
    Barrhaven, Riverside South is similar though.kanata is a little cheaper at 42-45/day.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    'warehousing' which is the term we tend to call those who care for more than 5 children legal allowed and this is very common in some areas and parents do not 'complain' because the service is cheap and they see it as 'their choice'
    I've never heard this term before! Yes, there are quite a few of them. When I closed my Brampton daycare one of the little ones that was in my care went to a provider that had over 10 kids in her home at once!!! That did not include the after and before school kids.
    There is a provider who lives around me that my daycare family tells me that she has 10-15 kids and mix of full time/part time and before and after school kids.
    Crazy

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ECE53 View Post
    I am in an Ottawa suburb, the going rate here is 45-50 a day . I charge 48.50 and it is for the spot, I don't really do part time etc....
    Wow .... Your in barrhaven???? I'm just outside of barrhaven and I'm 40/day ..... I didn't realize you could get that kind of cash there ..... Yay for you hopefully it'll start going up in this direction. ; )

Expansive...
    London, Ontario here and I charge $35/day whether they come full or part time. $30/day once they start J/K, $15/day for before and after school care and $10 for before OR after school care.

Ya - think the term warehousing comes from the concept that when you have that many children in order to make sure that they do not kill each other they end up sitting on couches and chairs lined up in front of the boob tube like 'crates on a shelf' from drop off to pick up ... warehoused until the parents can get back to pick them up!

Not that there are not awesome people out there who can offer an enriching program to that many children .... when i worked in centre care I would have 12 preschoolers on my own for the first two hours or last two hours of the day so I know I could MANAGE that many children but the level of program would be confined to 'warehousing' every child would be doing the SAME GROUP THING ... so we still did 'stuff' it was just 'contained stuff' aka they were ALL sitting engaged in some adult directed group thing .... story time, science experiment, coloring or fidget toys at a table and chairs cause you just do not have enough EYES to allow that many children to FREE PLAY and expect them to stay safe!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

jec
    Thanks ladies ~ again I thank you for your time

Expansive...
    I'm in Toronto and my daily rate is $50-60 per day depending on how many hours you need. My half day rate is $30.