Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rates

ECE53:
    I am in an Ottawa suburb, the going rate here is 45-50 a day . I charge 48.50 and it is for the spot, I don't really do part time etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Wow .... Your in barrhaven???? I'm just outside of barrhaven and I'm 40/day ..... I didn't realize you could get that kind of cash there ..... Yay for you hopefully it'll start going up in this direction. ; )
    Yea, I'm going to guess you're in Stonebridge....or one of the more pricey areas of Barfhaven! lol My nephew goes to one in Stonebridge, and they pay her $42 or 43 a day.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
    I'm in Toronto and my daily rate is $50-60 per day depending on how many hours you need. My half day rate is $30.
    Really!?! What area of Toronto if you don't mind me asking? My sister-in-law is starting to look for care for my nephew and they are in the Etobicoke area and the highest she's told me about was $40/day FT.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    I'm in London and I charge $30/day for full time and $33/day for part-time. In the fall when my contract renews I'm going up to $32/day full time and $35/day part-time and I'll probably stay at that rate for a few years. My main reason for keeping my rates low is that I rent an apartment and I don't have a fenced in yard, but we travel to parks all the time.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    I'm Oshawa Ontario. Rates around here range quite a bit. I've seen postings for as little as $20 a day up to about $40 a day here. I can't believe the amount of people that require the part time. I have very rarely been asked about a full time space. I only have 1 child who is full-time monday to friday. All the others are tues/thurs, mon/wed/fri. Its for sure hard for scheduling and ensuring that I'm never over my numbers. I would absolutely prefer to have 5 full time monday to friday kids but it just doesn't seem to be out there. So many people work weekends now and don't want to pay for daycare when they don't need it, which I fully understand.
    I'm in Whitby Ontario which is kinda wrapped around by Oshawa LOL and like MM said FT is pretty hard to find. EVERYONE is asking for PT..
    I charge:
    $35 FT 5 days a week
    $37 3-4 days a week
    $40 1-2 days a week

I don't want to deal with school runs yet so I don't offer it, when my own daughter starts school then I'll add it in. Out of all the interviews I've had only one last week has been for FT...eventually (see post)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma_Mia View Post
    Really!?! What area of Toronto if you don't mind me asking? My sister-in-law is starting to look for care for my nephew and they are in the Etobicoke area and the highest she's told me about was $40/day FT.
    Etobicoke isn't Toronto proper. It's not on the subway route, and that will make a big difference for people looking for care who work downtown. In nearly all of Toronto, the going rate for home daycare is 50-60 per day. I am in the west end of downtown, and I charge $55 per day for full time, and $65 for part time. I've seen full time rates in my area as high as $70.

Expansive...
    @ Alphaghetti - ooooo gottcha!

Wow - what is LICENSED care going for in Toronto these days cause IME licensed centre care tends to typically be $10-20 more a day than home care and if home care is going $50-60 / day no wonder centres are having to close cause who the hell could afford to be spending $80 a day or $400 a WEEK for licensed child care and have working be 'worthwhile' for the family?

You would have to be working a job that paid $30 / hour or MORE to have any income left after paying for childcare fees .... seriously a lot of women still tend to work in 'retail and service industries' where they are only making minimum wage is only what $10.25 / hour these days or maybe $12 an hour .... by the time you work a 32.5 hour week cause they never give you FULL TIME hours in those industries cause they you'd be entitled to benefits - you would be PAYING to go to work so why bother?

No offense but another reason why I could not live in TO or surrounding areas the inflated cost of living is just WHACK and the wages do not often reflect the COL ... I had friends who worked in CENTRE CARE in Missisauga and Toronto area and they onnly got paid like $0.80 an hour more than I did in KW and the housing, gas, and other cost of living was like HALF at the time ... not sure if it is still the same because KW has become a bloody extension of Toronto but still
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Wow - what is LICENSED care going for in Toronto these days cause IME licensed centre care tends to typically be $10-20 more a day than home care and if home care is going $50-60 / day no wonder centres are having to close cause who the hell could afford to be spending $80 a day or $400 a WEEK for licensed child care and have working be 'worthwhile' for the family?

You would have to be working a job that paid $30 / hour or MORE to have any income left after paying for childcare fees .... seriously a lot of women still tend to work in 'retail and service industries' where they are only making minimum wage is only what $10.25 / hour these days or maybe $12 an hour .... by the time you work a 32.5 hour week cause they never give you FULL TIME hours in those industries cause they you'd be entitled to benefits - you would be PAYING to go to work so why bother?

No offense but another reason why I could not live in TO or surrounding areas the inflated cost of living is just WHACK and the wages do not often reflect the COL ... I had friends who worked in CENTRE CARE in Missisauga and Toronto area and they onnly got paid like $0.80 an hour more than I did in KW and the housing, gas, and other cost of living was like HALF at the time ... not sure if it is still the same because KW has become a bloody extension of Toronto but still
    Yeah centre care is $75 or $80 per day from what I have heard. I don't really find it any more expensive to live in Toronto than anywhere else in Canada - the groceries are the same, the gas is the same, etc. The cost to purchase a home is fairly ridiculous, but this is true of any large city in the "civilized" world, whether it be here in North America, or in England.

I disagree that you aren't paid to reflect the cost of living. I know many different types of workers, and all of them are paid more living and working here in Toronto than they are/would be in say, North Bay or any other smaller town.

ETA: Also, pretty much everyone qualifies for subsidy if they choose to go the licensed route. I know a family who made above six figures and they still qualified for a sizable amount of help for licensed care.

It's all relative, imo. We could have a larger home with a bigger yard if we moved to the burbs, but we quite like living here in the city where everything is nearby. I guess you pay for amenities and conveniences.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    Y...I disagree that you aren't paid to reflect the cost of living. I know many different types of workers, and all of them are paid more living and working here in Toronto than they are/would be in say, North Bay or any other smaller town.....
    Sorry I should clarify - I was speaking in terms of childcare ... the staff wages in centres in Mississauga and Toronto are not comparable to the VAST difference in fees being charged to clients ... aka for centres to be charging almost $30 a DAY more than neighboring KW is just a little shocking to me ... I know peers working in TO who are only making between $12-15 / hour which is the SAME wage as KW in fact in many cases it is LESS than centres in KW ... so since staff fees make up 80% of a centres budget and the staff are paid relatively the same in both regions .... why are the FEES so much more in TO - just boggles my mind is all?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    No offense but another reason why I could not live in TO
    My husband and both grew up in TO and my parents moved out of the city when I was 15 and inlaws moved out of the city 4yrs ago. Living there for the most of my life and now having lived in Pickering & now Whitby I'd NEVER move back! I have everything I could need and want within walking distance still (lucky location) but the peace and space of the 'burbs!! Also having a house that isn't falling apart or 90yrs old that is detached! with storage, has parking for 4 cars, a 2 car garage, a very large yard AND is 1/2 the cost of some people I know who wouldn't.leave.the.c ity's.house just makes me SMILE!!

((SO not aiming at you Alpha ))
    My BIL has a garbage of a place too small to have anyone over and pays quite a bit more each month for it + has to get parking permits for thier street IF they get a spot, has to rent a untit for storage and still tries to tell me that living in TO is "better" when he's 99% of the time over at MY place!! It just rattles a nerve with me re: him & TO worth the extra $$ <eyeroll> LOL