Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to charge?

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar

What to charge?

I am having trouble filling up my dayhome and someone asked me if i am willing to do an extra hour here and there throughout the week. She also needs weekend care. Would be either Saturday or Sunday of each week. I really wasn't planning on providing weekend care but I'm kind of considering it bc I will be losing one of the kids in June bc she will be moving. I told her that weekend care would be something extra bc contract only states Monday to Friday. Hours would range from 4 hr to 8 hrs on weekends.
    Do any of you provide weekend care separate from dayhome and how much is a reasonable rate? I am in Alberta.

Oh one more thing... For weekends is it better to charge by the hour or daily rate.
    I'm a little nervous bc she says that he was at a dayhome but she had to pull him out bc of improper treatment. Should I ask for a number to contact the previous provider?

apples and bananas
    Weekends are tough. I started out doing some weekends just because I needed the income. Once I was stable I stopped doing them. I found I really needed the 2 days of quiet.

When I was working outside the home I was being charged an additional $5.00 per day per child for Saturday and I thought I was getting a deal! I'm in Ontario though, so that may not be usefull information. I was just lucky I had someone to take my kids on a Saturday.

Euphoric !
    I would let mom know that you can do it on a TEMPORARY basis. I can almost guarantee that when you are, indeed, at full capacity during the week, the last thing you will want to do is take in kids on the weekend too.
    It's my understanding that weekend care is more expensive, I would do whatever your rate is time 1.5 or 2. I would probably do hourly, as well. I wish I could help you on the rate... but I don't even know what I would charge for that!

It depends - are you that desperate for money to work on weekends and interfere with YOUR family time?

For weekend payment, I would charge my 'nanny' fee of $16/hour. For extra hours here and there throughout the Mon-Fri weekdays outside your contracted hours, I would charge $10/hour. As it interrupts family time.

But again, it's a personal preference. I sure as hell wouldn't do it! Just my 2 cents (or will that be changed to 5 cents? lol )

apples and bananas
    I don't know if i'd charge hourly. It messes up your entire day. I would do a set fee no matter how long they're there as it is your family time.

Euphoric !
    I won't do it on a regular basis but my daily rate is $37 and my weekend rate is $50 day. I promise meals, diaper changes and freeplay that is it. Anything else I do is a bonus. ie I am going about my normal weekend things like laundry and dusting and kid is simply hanging out at my house while you work. That I don't feel like I totally screwed myself up in terms of housework. I still get it done more or less during the time child is here and the rest of the time is my own still.

Outgoing
    I won't do it on a regular basis either. And would charge my nanny fee. I don't knwo how much I would charge though as I never worked as a nanny here. I would say go with hourly fee.

Starting to feel at home...
    I would do an hourly fee. Probably $12.50/hr. I'm in Alberta as well. And I think Mom-in-alberta's suggestion of stating that you could do it temporarily is smart. You'd have an out when the time came where you could say that it no longer is working for you due to your busy schedule once you are full.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still on the fence about this one. I think I may just do it until I fill up and then go back to normal weekday schedule like some of you suggested. It's just that I have not been able to find anyone since November. Barely get inquiries and when I do it doesn't fit my schedule ( weekends, overnights, late evenings). It's a tough call. I really dont want to give up my weekends but I may have no choice right now. I only have two full times and one part time, which one will be leaving in June