Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy
    What about teachers? When they want 2 weeks off at Christmas, 1 week off at March Break and then 2 months during the summer without paying. It is not easy to find another child to share that spot so we lose a lot of money during that time.
    What are your thoughts?
    Love: Mrs. Laurie

Euphoric !
    My contract states that I am open 49 weeks per year and payment is due for that amount of time unless I am closed any extra days in excess of my 3 weeks vacation time. It's very simple and straightforward that payment is due no matter what happens, sick days, snow days, or any missed days at all on the parent's part. If the parents decide to take a week off at Christmas or any other time they know their payment is due also. If I have to close for any reason then payment is not due.

Quote Originally Posted by elliesmom View Post
    I don't charge for my vacation. I don't think I would have kids here if I did. I also give my families 2 weeks vacation for free. And if you can believe it some parents have complained that 2 weeks wasn't enough...lol
    Same here - 2 weeks free for parents, then after that they have to pay half the rate to save the childs spot (and I get some income!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Laurie View Post
    What about teachers? When they want 2 weeks off at Christmas, 1 week off at March Break and then 2 months during the summer without paying. It is not easy to find another child to share that spot so we lose a lot of money during that time.
    What are your thoughts?
    I only take teachers children as my hubby's a teacher - so it works out quite well! I just hope I can continue on finding teachers kids!

Outgoing
    I take 10 paid sick days per year and 3 week of unpaid holiday time per year. Parents pay if they are on holidays though...full fees unless they take an extended absence of more than 3 weeks at a time (teachers). Then they pay half fees to hold their spot for when they return.

Shy
    I have to totally agree with Mrs. Laurie. We do make our own rules and we are not entitled to the same perks as working for an employer.

The whole point is to find parents that are willing to work with you. I always tell my parents that it is not a bad thing if I am not the care provider for them. I also haven't gotten upset when parents have chosen to leave either. Parents need to find childcare providers that work for them too.

Laurie has a good point about calling local providers in your area. Find out what their policy's are and such. It will give you a good guideline to follow. The most important thing to do is to follow what you believe in. There is lots of parents that are needing good day homes.

Starting to feel at home...
    My contract allows me 3 weeks unpaid vacation (one week always over Christmas). 6 paid 'sick' days. Parents get 2 weeks unpaid vacation too but pay for more than that. My prices are set to weekly terms too, so I get paid for stat holidays.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

I do not charge for Vacation Time but I do charge for sick time. If a child is sick for more then 3 days then they do not have to pay, but for just one day it is still a regular pay day. However if I am sick they do not pay. I do charge extra for PA days and snow days $10.00 additional per child. My advise to you if you have just started charge for vacation time - it is a big chunk of change when you loose out for those days.

Good Luck

I don't charge for my holidays either. I do, however, charge for the odd day here and there that I may close. My families pay upfront for the entire month and it's cheaper (I hate that word ha ha) to just pay the full monthly rate, than for me to pro-rate. I give at least 1 month notice to close a day, other than a stat, and at least 3 months, if not more, for summer holidays.

I do have a teacher's family. The lighter workload over the summer, when my own children are not in school, is a welcome thing around here. I budget for that loss of income, and I hold their deposit to keep their spots.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~