Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    I dont charge for my vacation time either, i feel that if I am not available to provide care then they "may" need to pay someone else.

My policy is that if i am open then you pay.

That being said I do know of several providers who do charge for their vacation time. The best bet is to talk to other providers in your area to get a feel for what the "norm" is.

I charge the parents as if it is a 4 week month, when there is actually closer to 4.5 weeks in a month. For example full time parents only pay for 20 days of care and the extra days they have not paid for I take as my holidays. This way parents pay the same amount every month and it is easier for the bookkeeping. I am flexible with my holidays and I ask the parents to let me know if they are planning a special holiday and I will gladly change my holidays to suit everyone. Parents pay for stat holidays if there day of care falls on the holiday.
    I have also added 5 sick/ emergency days per year in my contract without the fees varying. I guess I am immune to all the illnesses now as I do not get sick.
    If parents decide to take time off from daycare or Grandma is in town and will look after the child they are still charged. I feel that this is a contract just as having a mortgage or car payment is a contract. If you go away you still have to pay the mortgage and the car payment. The bank will not give you a deal or tell you that payment is not needed if you're away.
    As Mrs Laurie stated if you are self employed you make the contract and rules for your daycare. The right families will find you and become part of your daycare.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Being a subsidized daycare in quebec means my daycare parents only pay 7$ a day.
    I am closed 2 weeks at christmas and 3 weeks in the summer as well as all stat holidays .
    All my time off is payable . The only time I do not charge is when I close the daycare (due to illness/appointments )
    When I was a private daycare (25 day) I took 3 weeks vacation and 2 were payable.
    It really does matter what the norm is in your area and is very much so a personal choice

Quote Originally Posted by horsegirl View Post
    I charge the parents as if it is a 4 week month, when there is actually closer to 4.5 weeks in a month. For example full time parents only pay for 20 days of care and the extra days they have not paid for I take as my holidays. This way parents pay the same amount every month and it is easier for the bookkeeping..
    Love this idea of 20 business days for full time, I did the math and that leaves approx 20 days in 2011 that you could call your time off and parents are not paying for, yet you still get the full monthly fee. Really great idea. Thanks!

I have done some research on this when I completed my parent's handbook and found that this was a controversial topic. I had decided that I would take one week of vacation PAID and one week NOT PAID and i thought that was pretty fair for both parties. I also decided to take all STAT holidays OFF PAID. We all need a break here and there and since most parents are off, I thought that was fair too.

Do most people take stat holidays off paid? I am currently closed for those days, and unpaid. Are parents ok with being charged for those days if you are closed?

Quote Originally Posted by waterloo day mom View Post
    Do most people take stat holidays off paid? I am currently closed for those days, and unpaid. Are parents ok with being charged for those days if you are closed?
    I charge for Stat Holidays. Parents are fine with it!

I have a family leaving, and their last day is Thursday but is technically Friday, and since it's Canada Day and I'm closed, she's alright with paying for that day.

Euphoric !
    I charage for stat holidays. Most parents are also paid for those days where they work. There are exceptions including those that work part time or do contract work so in the past I have let some of my part timers get away with not paying for ALL of the stats but still charged them for some of them. I don't take large blocks of holiday time so I take 10 paid stat days and parents have 10 days in the summer to use as unpaid holiday time so it evens out. PT people are prorated for days off unpaid so to some degree I prorate the stats they pay for - but only if they whine or I really like them.

I charge for all stat days. I take 5 weeks of vacation, which I don't charge for and I don't charge for my own sick days either. Parents pay me for their holidays if it's outside of my dates and they pay for days their child is sick and does not attend.

My parents have never had an issue with paying me for stat days. It's in my contract and I think it's to be expected.

Expansive...
    I give my parents one week off unpaid, I take one week off unpaid and if they take another week they do 1/2 pay this way we are all
    happy!