Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Charging parents for holidays

I'm new to daycare and currently do not charge parents for my 3 weeks vacation time. What are other providers doing about this? I feel like it's not fair to parents to have them pay for child care when they are not here. But on the other hand is it fair that we don't have paid vacation? Most employers in the real world offer this as a benefit. Shouldn't we have our own perks, after all its our business?Torn and still feel parents shouldn't pay. Any suggestions, or thoughts on this?

Starting to feel at home...
    I have always had my parents pay for vacation time. I take two weeks, stat holidays and six floater sick days. I also email my vacation sheet for the whole following year in November. Parents never have less than two months notice of days off and about eight or ten months of my holidays. I find that most of my parents can then take holidays the same time I do.

All of my parents have found this to be quite reasonable. It is all about finding people that value their provider.

Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar
    Hi Jenn !

I think that, one way or another, parents will end up paying for your holidays. If you do not charge them directly, your monthly rate will go up so that you can afford to go on holidays without worrying about not getting any income during those days. If you do charge for your holidays, your rate will stay low, but parents will pay during your holidays.

In the end, it really depends about what parents are confortable with. Maybe advertising a lower rate can bring more customers though; but will they find that you're "exagerating" for asking them to pay for your vacations ?

Hello Jenn,

Like you, I do not charge my parents my vacation days or sick days. I have found that parents appreciate this as they have to find alternate care for those days where I am not working. I am lucky enough to be able to not worry about that extra income coming in.

I also have my own dance school, and take holidays - parents do not pay for my holidays.

Just depends on what the 'perks' of your daycare are. I am on the high end of daily rates, but am also qualified.

Hello Jenn,

I have 7 paid days in my contract which I use either if I or my children are sick. I also take the entire month of August off which I don't charge for. I have found that with parents taking vacation that it often all happens around the same time. I have often found in the past that if I would take a week off the parents who valued my care would pay me regardless.

I hope that helps.
    Jenifer

Shy
    I don't charge for my vacation. I don't think I would have kids here if I did. I also give my families 2 weeks vacation for free. And if you can believe it some parents have complained that 2 weeks wasn't enough...lol

Shy
    The way I do it is I take three weeks a year off. If they take the same weeks as me they do not get charged. If they take different weeks then I charge them.

I take two weeks of holidays unpaid. However, their holidays or sick days are paid.

Hi Jenn, I don't charge parents for days that I take off for vacations. I take 5 weeks a year - 3 throughout the summer and 2 at Christmas. I do charge for stat holidays and parents pay for vacation time that they take if its outside my own scheduled vacation times. Five weeks is a lot of unpaid time, so I have to plan ahead by saving money throughout the year to cover those weeks.

Shy
    Wow as you can tell Jenn from the replies it is totally a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. What I would do if you are still unsure is call the other providers in your area and ask them what their policy is (do let them know you are a provider I do not like when another provider calls pretending to be a parent looking for information it is better to be honest and who knows you might hit it off and do playdates together!) then look over your list and see what the majority says.
    I too do not charge parents when I am not providing the service. I do charge parents half fees to hold their child's spot when they are on vacation so if they book the same holidays as me then they win if not then it will cost them.
    Being self employed does not mean we are entitled to the same purks as parents working for an employer but we can make our own policies and then it is just finding the right families that will accept them.
    Good luck Jenn with your decision.
    Love: Mrs. Laurie