Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When to call parent

Being 8 months in I've had only a couple of times where I have felt the need to call a parent. It's always been centered around child having a hard time teething or waking up fevered and my call is "do you wish me to give Tylenol?". Ironically, for me it's all the dads that are the easier contact during the day and everytime I'm answered with a "we totally trust you, do whatever you think is necessary". Of course, I still call everytime. But today was my first actual injury. Little guy (20 months), did a face plant, tooth went into the lip...blood stopped quickly, I iced it (had him suck on a frozen yogurt tube)...but once he was back happily playing (swollen lip and all)...I'm torn...do I call? I know Dad would just laugh it off...he's done the same at home. I am going to add this to my interview questions for sure; something like "What incidents, in your opinion, would you appreciate immediate communication on (call to work) as opposed to journal/face to face at end of day?". To summarize, my questions for you all are: When do you call? Help with wording of the interview question?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    IMO ....he's not sick, and you have stopped the bleeding, and he does not need medicial attrntion and as long as he is playing fine and does not need to leave I would just write up an accident report and have it ready at pick up for the parent to sign..... When parent arrives I would give an account of how it happened and how he reacted and that you didn't want to needlessly worry her at work and she will let you know if next time she would like a call regardless

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

I just feel so awful that it happened on 'my watch', you know?

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Meh ..... It's part of being a kid

Outgoing
    I agree with the other ladies. Accidents happen and really its not a major one. Kids get fat lips all the time. I would just write it up to log what happened. You can always ask them tonight if you should have called, but I as a Mom wouldn't need a call for that. kids are kids

Phew; you ladies made me feel a whole lot BETTER

~Anonymous~

Hug. I hate when they get hurt! I wouldn't expect a call if I was a working parent, but I might text, if you do that. It's not as disruptive to the work day.

When it is a NEW family I always CALL the first time their child is injured cause for some parents there is nothing worse than showing up at pick up and seeing little Johnny with a FAT LIP or something and thinking 'OMG my kid got hurt and likely needed me and I was not there' ... if you call and give them a 'heads up' that X happened, I did Y to deal with it and he seems fine but just wanted to give you a heads up call so that you are not caught off guard that there IS a mark on his head/face/lip/various body part'.

Than after that FIRST time I will as you mentioned in your initial post I just ASK do you prefer me to call with the heads up for stuff like this or are you ok waiting for picking up to hear the details?

Honestly I have kids in care who have NEVER had an accident so never had to worry about and than there are those other kids who are just 'accident prone' with two left feet who trip and fall and bump themselves just sneezing whom you would be calling all the time and generally the parent KNOWS their kid is a clutz and therefore is easy with the 'unless it is something you feel needs medical attention outside of standard first aid than ya just let me know at pick up'
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I wouldn't call the parent about it but I would be cringing and tense all day feeling bad about it and how to gently break the news to the parents at pick up time. I hate injuries

Euphoric !
    I send an email to the Mom when a little accident has happened here mostly because the Mom's drop off and the Dad's pick up or vise versa at my daycare. I'm not saying anything bad about men, but sometimes Dads don't relay messages to Moms, you know? I don't have any accident forms and don't feel they are necessary. I only call parents for fever of 101 F or vomiting or excessive diarrhea or something serious. A bump or bruise or little bit of blood is normal for any child and all normal parents understand that. If you have an odd Mom who over-reacts in your daycare my answer would be different.