Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    If it's not enjoyable to be outside, then we don't go. That's my standard, lol.
    I get the kids out at least once a day, but if we walk out the door and the wind takes our breath away, then we play on the deck for a couple minutes and then head back in!

Quote Originally Posted by michellesmunchkins View Post
    In center care, you go outside regardless of weather (at least the center my daughter went to when she was little). They were outside 2 hours a day and even with hatts and mitts and proper winter attire she was always frozen when I picked her up
    Not the case when I worked in centers. We used common sense and the weather 'rules'.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    Not the case when I worked in centers. We used common sense and the weather 'rules'.
    Oh I wish my daughter's center had been like that. They were outside no matter what. She would be literally frozen when I picked her up. It was so cold that all the kids would be standing around crying...it was awful! Needless to say she didn't stay in that daycare long.

Expansive...
    I have 3 grilfriends who have their little ones in center care, one of who is a center 'worker' herself in the West end (Mississauga/Bramptn) and they also follow the 2hrs outside no matter what. I know this, because she b!tches about being cold/wet/hot all the time as she hates the outdoors and the other two mom's have made comments about their kids being sweaty or frozen....

And like MM's said 2/3 are looking for home care because of all the "rules" that are just SILLY
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    I may be old fashioned but I completely believe more people should use their common sense so you girls make me proud!

I don't have a # for too hot or too cold, but rather my contract asks that parents respect my judgement to know when it is unsuitable for their children to go outside. So I'm not worried about adding anything to my contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ECE53 View Post
    .....Why didn't the daycare staff go inside ? Is my question ........
    Because like the rest of us .... it was warm and sunny plus 14 yesterday in the fenced yard the wind did not seem 'too bad' due to the shelter the wooden fencing provided - the kids are short and near the ground and not affected by the wind down there ... however obviously the TOP of the tree not so protected from the wind resulting in the bottom protected from the wind still being uprooted ... I have not heard anymore about the details about how the investigation into this is going but curiousity is killing me!

I am thinking more 'liability' as usual verses personal preference cause when it comes to due diligence and liability your preference or common sense is mute it is than 'what would a reasonable person have concluded' - and it seems we are 'mixed' on reasonable as some of us went outside yesterday and some did not.

I LOVE to be outside and am likely to be found outside whenever possible when left to my own judgement including yesterday because it did not seem BAD here despite the fact some areas had 'warnings' it was sunny, warm with no clouds and just windy ... same with in the summer when it is hot - just make sure we are all drinking lots, have access to shade and sunscreen and keep cool with water play and in the winter I would so be out colder than -10 however I follow that rule here because that is the 'common cut off' in centres in this area for my age group ... -20 for schoolagers but toddlers / preschoolers are the -10.

Just wondering what the 'fall out' from this incident will be in regards to regulations ... cause sadly common sense never seems to be 'agreed upon' in society which is why centres are regulated out the wazoo!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi