Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar

Antibiotics

I haven't had to give medicine to any of the kids yet except for Tylenol or Advil for teething. One parent asked if I could give antibiotics for ear infection. Should this be recorded and signed?

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    Also I haven't been recording when I give Tylenol of teeth. Doesn't anyone have an example of a permission form for this type of thing?

I have a 'consent form' parents sign with directions for giving medications that are 'over the counter' and 'antibiotics' it has to come in the original container so that the 'directions' are from the Dr and directly on there for comparison - I will not give medication outside of those directions even if a parent 'requests it in writing' ... aka I have had antibiotics that come that say 'twice a day' and the parent wants it given at NOON well unless they are going to be giving it at MIDNIGHT there is no reason for that medication to be given at daycare - twice a day means every 12 hours ... so give it at HOME than. I record any medications given in my daily log under 'medications'.... child name, dosage and time given and 'any notes' aka took well, spit some out, etc.

Sorry it lost some 'formating with the copy and paste but this is my 'medication form':

I authorize the administration of ____________________ ____________ ,provided in its original container, to ____________________ __________ by the provider.

Child's Current Weight : __________________ Child's Current Age: __________

Purchased on: _________________ Expiry Date: ________________

Administration to Start On: __________ Administration to End On: ___________

Prescribed Dosage to be Received: ____________________ ______

Specific Time(s) to administer for: ____________________ _____________

Specific Symptoms to administer for: ____________________ _____________

Specified Storage of Medication Shall be: ____________________ _________

Stop medication if the following symptoms are observed: ________________

I understand if questions arise about giving/applying the medication, my provider will contact the dispensing pharmacy to clarify issues. I.e. when to give/apply and how often. If an appropriate response can not be obtained, or safety of child is in question, medication will not be administered.

I understand and accept that if problems arise with the giving/applying of the medication I.e. refusal by child to take medication, side effects, or an allergic reaction the child care provider will stop giving or applying the medication and will notify me.

Date Parent's Signature
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I require permission and track all medications whether over the counter or prescription. Parents must fill it out before I will give anything and I will only follow the dosage instructions written on the bottle. I keep track of the day/time/dosage and like Reggio does also put if child spits it out, etc. I do this for the tylenol or advil as well. To be honest, I'm not big on giving medication at all, unless they are on something that is 3x a day otherwise it can be taken at home. The tylenol and advil I'm not big on giving either unless they are REALLY hurting from teething. If its for a fever, they should be home and not at daycare. There was a case in Ontario a few years back where a daycare provider was sued for giving over the counter fever medication and was charged with overdosing the child...so I cover my butt if I have to give ANYTHING!

I am not formal with antibiotics. I have a 13 mo on one now, and I just give it to her at lunch. I don't feel that this is any kind of liability to me. But, that's just how I personally feel. I'll also give ibuprophen or acetominaphen without a note.

Euphoric !
    I will not administer over the counter medications...only doctor prescribed. And if they need prescription medication, I have them fill out and sign a form and put it in their file (I must admit I just copied and pasted Reggio`s because it is way better than mine...thank you Reggio...I hope you don`t mind!).

Euphoric !
    Yeah, I would rather not give anything to the kids. If I am, I have a form similar to the one Reggio posted.

Euphoric !
    I will not give children any over the counter medication here either, not even for teething. And I warn my dcparents not to medicate their child to bring down a fever or they will have to come get them as soon as it goes back up to 101 F.

I will administer doctor prescribed medications only. All of this is stated in my contract and I don't find any reason to have the parents sign any other paperwork. I don't want to store and keep track of any extra paperwork. I have a daily log book for my dckids and I note sicknesses and medications in that book only for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    ....(I must admit I just copied and pasted Reggio`s because it is way better than mine...thank you Reggio...I hope you don`t mind!).
    Yup - go ahead that is straight out of the Day Nursery Act of what info and consent is required on a medication form for a centre...I just removed the portions where all medication will be double checked by a second party - cause in centre care TWO people have to administer and sign for medications to make sure that a child is not 'overdosed' by a person reading the directions wrong .... aka bottle says 1.5 mls and person gives 15 mls or something if someone else 'double checks' than that would get cause... sadly double dosing or over dosing HAS happened on more than one occasion hence the 'new rule' being added.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What the heck is this? Too weird! How do all these things pop up on this site?