Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Shy
    that is my issue when i think about this. Ideally i would want 2 weeks vacation paid a yr plus stat holidays. they would also pay for there own vacations. even with notice i cant plan loss of money. i still need to buy food, pay my mortgage, hydro etc. none of that goes away when people take vacations. (i would have any sick days or personal days as unpaid days)

i am surprised by the amount of people that allow so much unpaid time which i think will hurt me when i dont and i try to look for clients.

Quote Originally Posted by shopgirl View Post
    ...I am surprised by the amount of people that allow so much unpaid time which i think will hurt me when i dont and i try to look for clients.
    I empathize .... this is why I offer the different payment plan options so parents can compare apples and oranges when choosing providers ... fees in my area range from $20 - 40 a day depending on things like this and so forth so if you sign on to a $20 a day provider only to find out you are paying 52 weeks a year regardless and she takes 5 weeks off, you are sending your own food, paying additional for any 'field trips or outings' and so forth ... when you add in all those extra expenses the parent is putting out verses the provider it is costing them likely the same as if they had gone with a $35 a day provider.

Bottom line is that at the end of the day we need to make a VIABLE wage .... if you are only charging $20 a day AND providing the food, any program expenses and on top of that you are letting parents take 2 weeks unpaid vacation or not paying if they do not use care and not paying for Stats or your vacation and so forth .... you will be making way less than minimum wage for the very DEMANDING work that we do through out the day - sorry but why bother than you could work a few hours a week at Walmart and make MORE money than?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy
    I agree!

I guess I just thought when i worked anywhere else by law i had 2 paid vacation weeks a year. I could never go on vacation and take a week's wages loss at the same time. I just assumed i would take 2 paid vacations a year with daycare as well but am surprised while starting to research how many people dont charge for all this time off.

Ya - that is cause we are self employed and therefore we are seen as 'different' .... however our industry is unique as well in that while prior to a vacation a self employed hairdressor for example can take on 1 extra client a day for several weeks to make up for the income she will loose during 'closure' .... we unfortunately can NOT which is why I am an advocate of you pay for the SPACE you are occupying because our income is limited to the # of clients we are legally allowed to have

I am sure if the government came along and regulated that hairdressers or chiropractors or what not could only ever have a max of 5 or 8 or whatever clients a day that THEIR practices for fees would change drastically as well to make up for the income they would loose if sick or taking time off and not able to 'make that up' either before hand or after by filling up their calendar with extra clients
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I'm in London Ontario and will be charging $32/day this year with $35/day for part-time care. I charge the same rates all year 49 weeks a year and parents don't pay for my 3 weeks of vacation time off. However, if they take vacation any time when I'm open they still pay full fees.

Shy
    I live in calgary. I charge $35 per day. All stats are paid for me. I take 5 days paid vacation and 10 unpaid personal/sick days. Any vacation the parent takes, is still paid in full to me if they want to keep the spot. It's all in my contract, I believe I should have the same rights as people who go to work, why should I be any different.