Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pink Eye??

Outgoing

Pink Eye??

So, I had a mom drop off her child this morning and say he woke up with a crusty eye. He has had a cold for the past week and a bit, but she said that it wasn't red or anything. Since I have never had pink eye, nor have any of my children. I have no clue what I am looking for. I know its contagious, but that's about it. How do I determine if this child has pink eye or just had extra sleep in his eyes due to his cold??? His eye looks a bit swollen, but the mom said that it was probably from her washing his eye off?

Shy
    why my DS had pink eye his eye was crusted shut in the morning. i had to wash it off to even get his eye open and for one day he had LOTS of goop just pouring out of his eye. i think the amount of crust in the morning is a good indicator. did she mention to what extent?

on the other hand my DD had a viral case and she woke up with extra crust, her eye was mildly swollen but she didnt have all the goop coming out but both kids even though different had pink eyes as in the colour.. eyes were not white.. that might be your best indicator. a little sleep in the eye wont cause the eye to look pink

Euphoric !
    Any crusty eyes are not permitted in my daycare Usually a sign of infection.... Parent should have it checked out ..... Pink eye is generally When the white of the eye is red and lots of discharge and quite itchy. But I have a child that gets eye infections and it's not punk eye but just as contagious.

Yup - goopy eye here requires a trip to the Dr and 24 hours on a treatment for it before returning ... I do not care if you just go get over the counter polysporin for it if you do not want to waste a trip to the Dr ... but some sort of treatment for it!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't have allowed the child into the daycare I'm afraid. I check them all over at the door while speaking with the parent at drop off time and hug them when they have colds to secretly feel if they have a high temperature too. If they are tugging at their ears or have green good in any of their facial orifices I suggest a visit to the doctor and warn that we wouldn't want to spread it to everyone else. But I have some pretty awesome parents as clients right now and haven't had any problems for years.

Outgoing
    I don't allow them into daycare with pink eye, or pretty much any eye 'gunk'. Highly contagious and little ones are constantly rubbing their eyes, touching toys and then the next one walks by and boom they have it too.

For my families who are anti doctor (meaning they usually have some sort of excuse why they cant take their child to a dr) I even suggest the over the counter polysporin pink eye drops. Doesn't take the place of a dr's diagnosis but at least they are doing something for their little one.

They must be on it for a minimum of 24 hours and have had no gunk from the eye for 24 hours before returning to daycare.