Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Daycare Search - A Parent's Perspective

I have been searching for a daycare for a few weeks now for a springtime spot. I have sent out about 20 emails and I have received 5 responses. One has a spot and three who have none. If you do not have a spot, please indicate so and update your ad. There were some that I really wanted to meet but never got back to me. This isn't specifically for this site either. It is just really frustrating.

Expansive...
    to those people. I am so sorry! But I totally hear you it can get super super frustrating. Have you posted an add looking for a provider?

Shy
    Not yet. I looked(ing) at Wee Watch and it is expensive. I may post an ad on kijiji in my town.

Expansive...
    Try Posting an Ad on Craigslist. When I'm looking to recruit a new child I look for wanted posts on craigslist when I'm posting my Ad. Daycare providers who are serious about taking on new children should answer this ad. I know I jump on them.
    It may also be the age of your child: I know I can't take anymore babies and indicate that but people keep on emailing me requesting to place children under the age I have posted. This doesn't excuse rudeness by not answering but may be part of the reason. Older cildren are easier to place than younger children (from my experience at least)

Try calling those who give numbers as well. Its easier to get a hold of people by phone. Not everyone checks their email regularily

Good luck in your search

Shy
    Aww that stinks. I always get back to my enquiring families even if I do not have spaces or I can't accomodate their needs. I personally keep my ads all up to date. Good luck in finding a happy place for your child(ren). Kelly
    [CENTER]
    Kelly, Childcare Provider & Birthing Doula

www.kellyshomechildcare.webs.com
    www.overthemoondoulacare.com

Euphoric !
    You don't say what you said in your ad. I know it does not excuse rudeness and it only takes a few seconds for a caregiver to respond saying sorry I have no openings. From talking to other providers a couple things that might be coming into play. If you are looking for more than 3 months away and a caregiver has a space they are really hoping for someone that wants it now rather than having no income for 3 months. Also if you are looking for part time hours or an early drop off or late pick up that can also cause caregivers to hold out a bit longer before replying to you in the sense they don't want to say they don't have a space if it turns out there are no other enquiries with better working hours and they want to contact you afterall. It is also school break in some parts of the country so bear in mind that filling a space down the road isn't the most important thing on the mind of families planning a vacation for the break. Sorry that your search is not going well. If you post your city and when you need care there may be someone on this forum that has an opening.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I know this isn't an excuse, but with some organizations or lists caregivers are specifically told that unless we believe we can meet the needs of the daycare parent who is inquiring not to email them back. That the parent doesn't want to be bombarded with emails saying 'Sorry I can't meet your needs'. So, the lack of response might not be that the caregiver doesn't have space, it might be the caregivers can't meet your needs, whether it be hours of operation, age of child, etc.

I can't say 100% that a family gets a response for every inquiry I receive. Truthfully, some slip through the cracks, filtered wrong in my inbox, some seem like junk mail ~ I get at least 2 'fake' inquiries per week, some I mark to respond to later and later doesn't happen, or I am advertising a space for a 1 - 4 yr old and the family is requestion informtion for a 6 yr old etc.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

I ALWAYS reply back - it's just common courtesy in my mind.

If a parent emails me asking for questions, even if it's irrelvant to what I'm asking for, I will email them back to say that I'm only available for ages 1-4, not 6 year olds (and let them know of another home childcare that's in the area).

In my business classes that I took last year, one of my profs always said, it's common courtesy to reply back, even if it's just to say thank you. In all, I always email back someone, because in time I might get another email from them in the future, or they have referred someone to me!

Shy
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I have gotten about 5 responses today and I posted an ad on a few websites. Some are too far and I have emailed everyone back. Maybe that we all have different expectations/beliefs of what is courtesy, I suppose. I hope that sounds right. I know that some of my emails are going to junk mail. And maybe I am too attached to my iphone/email :P

We are looking for an infant spot in June but looking to integrate in May sometime. I am just worried that we won't find a good "fit".

Quote Originally Posted by nowmrsg View Post
    We are looking for an infant spot in June but looking to integrate in May sometime. I am just worried that we won't find a good "fit".
    Just make sure you go to all the interviews you can - ask as many questions as you can - don't base it just on the price (I hate when parents do that to me). I tell my parents that not every childcare is for every child! Good luck!