Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Throwing food on the floor

I have a new 13 month old who apparently has no idea what a plate or bowl is for.

He throws food on the floor. I have started to take that as the sign that he's done and I remove the food from his tray and tell him "all done"

Does anyone have any success stories on something that has worked for you?

The dogs are starting to gain a little more weight then I like. ( I call them the clean up crew )

I was, for a time, using double sided sticky tape to tape down all of Screamy's bowls and plates...lol. I love the little plates and bowls w suction cups on the bottom! OH! And the other day at Babies R Us, I saw an actual placemat with the suction cup the other way so that normal bowls and plates adhere. Too cool.

She still uses her hands to dump, though. I have sternly started telling her that she's not allowed, and it seems to be slowly working (3 week or so process).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Oh poor you! We had trained our child out of it until he went to a new Childcare providor with 2 dogs...and feeding them became a fun game...not so fun at home (no dog). How we got him (& other DCKs to stop...immediately we would take all food away (I think that if they're at the point of throwing i/s of putting it in their mouth they're done). Good luck to you!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    And the other day at Babies R Us, I saw an actual placemat with the suction cup the other way so that normal bowls and plates adhere.
    Must check this out!! Haha @ sticky tape!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

apples and bananas
    I love the sticky tape idea! And I will check out the suction cup placemat this weekend. Great idea.

Euphoric !
    I don't give them bowls or plates until they have shown that they can handle it...I use booster seats with trays, so I just put the food on the tray (unless it is soup or something like that). They can still throw it, but at least it's not a whole bowl. Then if they start throwing, I take everything away. It takes time before they grow out of it though!

Outgoing
    I'm with kanga. I use booster seats too and put the food right on the tray. I also give small portions and if they eat everything without throwing it on the floor they get more. I have one dcg who is currently throwing everything off her tray, so I literally give her one piece of food at a time. Saves on the clean up and I dont waste as much food. If she eats it, she gets more, if she throws it on the floor, I wait a few more minutes then offer it again. If she keeps throwing it on the floor, then I don't offer her anymore food. Lately, she hasn't been eating or drinking much due to this (and other problems) but we are slowly making an improvement.

Yup - you do not get your bowl full of food until you have mastered not tossing food onto the table here!

I put finger food directly on the tray for infants that age and if they start tossing it than 'meal time is done' .... they learn quickly that if they are indeed still HUNGRY they better not do that

Once they are not tossing food of the tray I offer the bowl and spoon - you get ONE chance and if you dump it or toss it - you are done ... again they learn REAL QUICK that if they are indeed still hungry you better not do that!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Same here ... No plateware at all ... When they start throwing the food I say "no throwing" and I shake my head and it is working .... Even the parents told me the other day that they have noticed much less food hitting the floor. Good luck!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    I don't give them bowls or plates until they have shown that they can handle it...I use booster seats with trays, so I just put the food on the tray (unless it is soup or something like that). They can still throw it, but at least it's not a whole bowl. Then if they start throwing, I take everything away. It takes time before they grow out of it though!
    DITTO!!! Also, when food goes on the floor on purpose I pick it up and look the child in the eye while showing them the food in my hand and very sternly repeat a few times 'no food on the floor'. Then of course I ask the parents to help at home to teach the children that it is not acceptable. My children all learn within a few months not to do that or they get my grouchy side. So yes, lots of success stories, it does work.