Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Where to buy felt products in Ottawa

Hi everyone,

I've only now discovered the wonderful world of felt. I was wondering, for people who use felt in the Ottawa area, where do you go to buy felt that you can cut to make your own stories and boards?

jazmic

Euphoric !
    I sell already printed felt products ( I am located in Orleans - Ottawa east) www.playfeltplus.com I do workshops for the CCPRN using the felt sets where we use felt, foam, cardstock etc to make additional resources during the make and take part.

I buy felt by the metre at fabricland. Or you can buy squares at Michaels. The squares offer more colour choices but you are limited to the size of the squares. I have also ordered felt from a company in the US but you have to order a minimum of 3 yards per colour and $50 worth and it was hard to tell if the shipping made it worthwhile but the colour choices are more.

I love to make resources out of felt and would love to get together with other providers interested too. I have lots of resource books we can take patterns from.

Thanks, playfelt! I'll go check out your website. I can't believe I never heard about felt before. It's so great! I go to CCPRN too but I haven't come across your workshop yet. I'll keep an eye out for it.

PS, I would be interested in getting together to make resources too, btw!

Euphoric !
    Next workshops are Sunday May 6 and are $15 each. Morning workshop is about gardening and afternoon workshop is about the seaside.

Heading out to Fredericton for my son's graduation third week of May and then after that would love to get together. There are a couple other people that have said sometime we should but we have never set a date. My plan has always been to set aside one evening a week and some time on the weekend such as Sunday afternoon to be creative and it is always more fun when others are around. I have a cricut expression and a sizzix diecutter we can play with too.

I just wanted to add that my kids love love the felt stories; it's one of their favourite activities!!! I got mine online (etsy).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Oooooooh, I wondered why you were called playfelt!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Oooooooh, I wondered why you were called playfelt!
    Yeah it works for advertising without really advertising. Someone almost always asks. Felt has come a long way since the paper figures of Sunday School and the simple diecut shapes when we went to primary school. What I like the most is the toddlers just bend and rip anything made of paper. Done in felt and fabric it can be scrumpled, stuffed, and washed as needed.

Outgoing
    I have both a cricut expression and a sizzix big shot, but have never tried using felt in them. Can you use any kind of felt in them, or does it have to be a special kind?

Euphoric !
    Felt will work in the sizzix. I have the original red one and the big kick and do felt. In theory the cricut cuts felt too and I have seen some things online but I have never tried it. I am still trying to master fabric with the heatnbond on the back in the cricut. It looks like it works for larger more simple shapes. Mostly what I do is cut what I want from white cardstock and then use that as a tracer template to trace on my felt.

I have heard of using the drawing pens in the cricut to draw on the felt and then cut out.