Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jec

Infant fee verses toddler fee

There are many providers that charge a different fee for infant and toddler- I'm wondering why. I myself don't and don't as I don't find one more challanging than the other. There is nothing wrong with it, as I've always said, it is our business but wondering the reasons ( my parents supply the diapers, wipes and formula if they are on it )
    Thanks

I started out with an agency - agency charge more for children under two because they limit the # of children a provider can HAVE under that age group to two .... this makes this age group a PREMIUM SPACE to find care for because they are more limited, plus it means a providers other spaces could be sitting 'empty' once the provider reaches that max if she cannot find children over two to care for right away .... if that same provider were not with an agency and having to follow the 'rules' for a licensed program she could have all her kids be under two if desired therefore the spaces are not 'premium' in her program and do not need an additional fee attached.

I left the agency cause I do not need the support and can make more wage without them but I still follow those ratio rules as close as possible - although unlike an agency I can use my discretion that if a child is going to turn two in 3 weeks but needs a start date NOW I do not have to make the client wait and potentially loose that .... so because of that I still charge more for children under the age of two.

In addition some providers feel infants have larger more expensive equipment required to maintain ... high chairs, cribs, multiple child strollers, infant sleep monitors and so forth that eat into 'revenue' in comparison to if you only cared for 'over twos' you would not have to invest as much etc.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

jec
    Mmmm, I get what your saying but once you buy the fold and play and highchair- you keep it. Most infants aren't as tough on toys as toddlers? Once the toys are bough, you keep them and roatate them no? My mode of transportation is good for toddler or infant ( mind you I want the cool stroller that Alpagetti has!! Saving for it just cause I want it, not need it )
    I'm not saying charging more is wrong just wondering if there are other reasons out there.

Ya ... for me my prime reason is that if I have two infants in care and a space opens up I might have sit open for a while loosing income while trying to find an 'older' kid because I have made a commitment to the two clients that I will not enroll another under two kid.... if I did not DO that than no I would just charge 'different' .... cause if I needed the income I could take 5 children who were 10 months - 16 months and be full ALL the time

I know providers in my area who run a program with 'low ratios' aka they promise to never have more than 3 kids in care at all .... so they charge MORE for that premium lower ratio to clients who value that verses the other option of having 5 kids in care plus the providers own kids.... they need their business to still be viable to them as well.

Lots of reasons for varied fees in our industry ... I honestly look at some providers fees and cannot fathom how they possible make ANY money at all ... $20 a day would not cover my expenses for a child for example - I spend half that on food for ONE kid, than there is insurance premiums on my home and vehicle, increased cost of heat, hydro, sewer, etc, advertizing and website costs, the paper and ink to cover registration and my bookkeeping costs ... not to mention field trips, consumable program costs for creative, sensory, science, baking with kids ... and well toys and equipment too boot!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

LOL - just thought of another for me just for fun .... infants and toddlers are more physically demanding on the body ... repetitive bending and lifting to meet their needs verses an independent preschooler KILLS MY BACK and therefore providing service to them means more trips to the massage therapist for treatment which is an additional incurred expense on my part to care for that age group verses should I choose to specialize in just the over two age group

Cause seriously everytime I enroll a newbie infant my sciatica gets NASTY for months afterwards!
    Loris Malaguzzi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

jec
    Ouch ~ your sciatica is reason enough not to want to take infants on!!

Euphoric !
    I used to have two rates when kids came into care as actual infants (4-6 months) but once we went to them starting as one year olds I just dropped the infant rate. The higher rate was based on the amount of my time their care took. To move to my toddler rate you had to be over 15 months, able to walk unassisted, crawl up and down stairs, use a sippy cup and finger feed.

jec
    I've always included my own kids as part of my numbers in my daycare and always super excited when I was able to bring on another to fill their spot while at school.

Yikes playfelt- your brave I'm not sure I would take them on that young. Your right, that is a lot of work at 4- 6 months.
    I've only ever taken them from 1 year - and been crazy busy in winter getting them all dressed but, just did it one at a time and i'd be working up quite the sweat. It was my winter work out!!
    I've never taken into consideration the extra work done at times and just considered it part of my job.

People are paying for a spot in my daycare. I don't care how old their kids are, they pay my full fee.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    People are paying for a spot in my daycare. I don't care how old their kids are, they pay my full fee.
    Do you charge different rates for infant verses toddler?