Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ratios

Here is a few link to the information that might be helpful Samantha

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/index.html

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/l...standards.html
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    wow, it is so different in the provinces! BC is mandatory to be regulated by the government. Although this has no effect on the way I operate because I can choose my own philosophies, policies, toys etc. the govt just regulates to make sure that child ratios etc are being followed. We do not have agencies to represent us out here. Crazy! Time to do some more research!

Thank you

I wish we would adopt your way Samantha ... more home providers would be willing to be 'regulated' if it did not mean a middle man of an agency was taking a cut of the fees charged to parents....unfortuna tely there are rumors in Ontario that the government is pushing to regulate ALL home childcare were the only option will be to go with an agency or not provide childcare as a business.

In BC if a client needs 'government assistance' to pay for their childcare fees how does that work? Can you accept subsidized children into care - does the government pay you directly or do they pay the parent? I guess I should have started with does BC HAVE subsidy for daycare?

Here in Ontario if a client needs subsidy they have no option but to use a government licensed centre or agency model of care - because only those models can enter into a 'purchase of service agreement' with the government where the government pays the centre / agency the fees for any clients enrolled who are in need of and eligible for subsidy ... private home childcares can not accept subsidized clients.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Hey Reggio,

Yes, in BC we do have subsidy for all types of care. If you are in a licensed/regulated space you receive more money so there is more incentive to the family to seek that type of care. If you have a family on sub the provider receives the funds and then passes them onto the family.

Here in BC we are facing the future problem of having Jr. Kind in place taking away lots of our 'older kids' spots ( as we are only allowed to have 4 under the age of four years old ( two of those can only be under two)). It is interesting that you have these 'agencies'. I do not think I would enjoy being regulated by an agency.... I will have to check the links you provided again to see more about them.

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    They have had that discussion for years and years. When I first moved to Ottawa in 2001 I was involved in a childcare conference for home daycare providers and it was being discussed. At the time they introduced the Family Daycare learning modules and we all got a copy of the first module - all that had been written back then. It is now 3 or 4 modules long and a lot more involved.

I agree, that more caregivers would get regulated if the requirements made more sense including me registering directly and not at the mercy of a third party to make decisions for me.

While I enjoy the no regulations part of this business there is something to be said for registration as it would help to weed out those doing it illegally, many would think twice about even starting if there were basic requirements to be met.

Unfortunately government tends to go about things in the wrong way and ends up making everyone angry, confused or both. There was a study being done here in Ottawa a few years ago on a rating scale for home daycare and the hope was that it could be applied and that it would help to bring up the standards of home care. The problem with the ratings and scales was that it was based on centre care and didn't take enough of the home care situation into account ex in one chapter it said you score high if you have a water table always available to the children whether it be a commercial variety or just a dishpan on the floor - then in another chapter you scored poorly if you had an open water source such as pail, bin or water table in the room if you had infants. The reality for home care is that we generally have both age groups and have to find ways to make accomodations. So until government and those making the decisions understand us it is far better if we just stay off the radar and do our own thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: