Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ratios

Starting to feel at home...

Ratios

Hello,

I am just wondering what the governments role in Ontario is regarding childcare age #'s and ratios. I currently live in BC and am looking to move...

In BC I currently am licensed to take a max of 7 children - with the rule being that I can only have four children under the age of four (with only two of those under the age of two). Do you have any regulations like this in Ont or can you just take a certain number of children and decide the ages yourself?

I have been reading lots of posts and it seems that in Ont you can take five children with no age restrictions, is this true?

Thank you

jec
    In Ontario you are only allowed to have 5 children in care regardless of providers in the house. I know of a house in Brampton where the lady ran it like a daycare and had people working for her but, it got shut down as she is only to have 5 children in her care at one time at her home.
    It depends if your with a licensed company like Wee watch or private. Wee watch or another licensed company will also consider your own children if they are under the age of 2 as part of your numbers and if private that isn't the case.
    For me, I always included my own as part of my numbers regardless of their age because it was just as busy for me!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

That's right. No age restrictions if you're a privately run day home in Ontario. The five children rule does not include your own kids. If you have ten of your own kids, you can still take five daycare kids of any age. If you want five babies, have at er...lol

In Ontario, you can have 5 "paying" children plus your own children, regardless of age!!!!! I think that many home day care providers choose to be independent and you do not require a licence or affiliation with an agency.

Oops, yes, what alphaghetti said!!!!!
    Last edited by Emily3; 04-27-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: same as another post!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily3 For This Useful Post:

For Ontario, if you're unlicensed (so private), you can only take 5 children under the age of 10 years. You can go with an agency, but there are different rules and regulations that take place.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

thank you for the info! Very helpful. In BC I am assigned to a 'licensing officer' through the government, does this happen in Ont?

Quote Originally Posted by samantha3 View Post
    thank you for the info! Very helpful. In BC I am assigned to a 'licensing officer' through the government, does this happen in Ont?
    If you go private, NO! With private, you're on your own!
    If you go with an agency, I believe you just have to deal with the agency.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Yup - in Ontario we currently still have a 'choice' to be private or with a regulated agency .... which is awesome I LIKE that clients have CHOICE verses an entirely government mandated options which than make all programs sort of 'cookie cutters' of each other and take away that meeting of individual client needs or program philosophies so to speak!

IMO there are pros and cons to both models depending on the level of support you need as provider and the area you serve as clientele there can be pros to being with an agency for sure ... for example regulated agency care appeals greatly to those who need and are eligible for social assistance in paying for childcare - aka government subsidy ... so if you live in an area of a city where there are a high % of clientele who NEED this service you might have better luck being full and viable with an agency .... however if you live in an area where the market can bare solely private clients and fees than there is more advantages to being 'private' - I myself started with an agency and decided to go fully private because I have always been able to find my own clients and be full with full fee paying clients - there was not 'benefit' to the agency for me business wise and it was wasting their resources having someone come out to 'inspect' the premises when I had no clients on enrollment through them and none of my private clients wanted to be with the agency cause full fees with an agency are about $10 a day higher than what I charge privately cause well no 'middle man' is taking a cut of that private arrangement
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you are with an agency, your own children count if they are under ten, not just the under two's. And they count in the ratios, so if you have a child of your own under 2, then you could only take one more under two, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jec View Post
    In Ontario you are only allowed to have 5 children in care regardless of providers in the house. I know of a house in Brampton where the lady ran it like a daycare and had people working for her but, it got shut down as she is only to have 5 children in her care at one time at her home.
    It depends if your with a licensed company like Wee watch or private. Wee watch or another licensed company will also consider your own children if they are under the age of 2 as part of your numbers and if private that isn't the case.
    For me, I always included my own as part of my numbers regardless of their age because it was just as busy for me!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    If you are with an agency, your own children count if they are under ten, not just the under two's. And they count in the ratios, so if you have a child of your own under 2, then you could only take one more under two, etc.
    Sorry for the misinformation Samantha3- best to double check on all things before you open up. I'm going on what I was told but then I'm private but my point being, there are more regulations/restrictions when you are with an agency. Reggio has some good points about the pros and cons and good luck with the move

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post: