Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Starting to feel at home...
    so true dragonlady3, and then people wonder how we burn out...

Euphoric !
    Dragonlady love your arguement. Would love to see that idea sent to the media somehow. If nothing else it just might spark someone to rethink.

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    Thanks....I would love to have the media take a good look at what we do, the very long hours we work without the breaks guaranteed other working women, and the very substantial level of responsibility we shoulder, but I believe the media tends to see us as unqualified and basically scary people. I don't think we would get a very fair hearing.

Euphoric !
    I posted months ago on this subject, but I find it really important to get out of my house with my daycare children so that I don't go stir crazy and get some adult time and it benefits them as well. We travel to our Children's library downtown every Monday where we have a playdate with another daycare so I'm good friends with the caregiver and my children and her children know each other now.

One or two other days per week we travel to a park where we meet a few other daycare providers with their groups and I have adult conversations in between chasing down my children and so do the other HDCP's. It gives us a wonderful break outside of our homes and our children get to play with other children outside our own daycares that they get to know well. It's a good preparation for big groups when they get to JK.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady3 View Post
    Thanks....I would love to have the media take a good look at what we do, the very long hours we work without the breaks guaranteed other working women, and the very substantial level of responsibility we shoulder, but I believe the media tends to see us as unqualified and basically scary people. I don't think we would get a very fair hearing.
    Oh I think I love you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

You are too funny! Thanks. One day we may prevail...be treated with respect, but it won't be by the government. The latest is the news that they would like to start children in 'industrial' daycares by the age of 2. Just what little children need, large, competitive groups in noisy rooms. Oh...and some day cares discourage hugging the children!! Doesn't that make for a terrific way to grow and mature into loving adults who are capable of becoming good partners and parents! But they 'might' get a good early education!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady3 View Post
    You are too funny! Thanks. One day we may prevail...be treated with respect, but it won't be by the government. The latest is the news that they would like to start children in 'industrial' daycares by the age of 2. Just what little children need, large, competitive groups in noisy rooms. Oh...and some day cares discourage hugging the children!! Doesn't that make for a terrific way to grow and mature into loving adults who are capable of becoming good partners and parents! But they 'might' get a good early education!
    I think that the parents whose values are similar to our own will continue using home daycares. I think that a certain section of the population understands and values how important home-like care and consistency is.

Discourage hugging?? Damn. I give mine kisses too!

Me too! Love to ruffle hair too! OOOOpss...probably get into big trouble some day. I too believe we offer a critical service and will continue to provide it with lots of hugs, eye contact, a calm, non-competitive and quiet environment, and I will be just as sane as the children. And we will be the ones producing good team players, and terrific future parents. Kisses and hugs to all...BIG and small...happy new year!

Shy
    So true Dragonlady3! The current Lib Gov (Emperor McGuinty) has taken this belief that centre based care is the only acceptable one a step further by forcing the implementation of all day Kindergarten. They believe institutional care (either centres or schools) should be the only care available. Just because he failed to have wrap around day care (in most areas) the first time doesn't mean he won't try again. Full day Kindergarten reduces care from a full day to part time two years earlier. The costs to the children however are too numerous to mention here.

No kidding! And because of the policy....and the lack of funds to properly implement it....and little forethought to the consequences ....at least 4 gov't sponsored 'industrial' day cares in Toronto are looking at closures because they are losing their 3/4/5 year olds. They don't have enough children to pay their bills. Way to go! Now will they have to be bailed out with gov't money...OUR tax dollares? I love it... Put your own day cares out of business. Nutty gov't= nutty unworkable policies.