Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady3 View Post
    re: children injured in large day cares and was stunned at how many articles there were about it. And not nearly so many with home based day cares. So why the bias against us?
    From working in the past at many centers: any cut or scrape the child gets, you have to write up an accident form - it's annoying, but the business has to cover their a$$es! I also find that home daycare providers usually don't write up accident forms. They just tell the parents directly or write it up on that childs daily log.

Shy
    I have playdates with other providers I need to or I go insane!

Were the injuries from large institutions?? 20+ children

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by ceECE View Post
    NICE! I have a licensed Group Care Centre in BC. There was a time when I only had 2 children in care due to sickness, and vacations. I called my LO to ask if it is an accepted practise to visit another centre if they had low numbers too. She said "No, it's not in the children's best interest. It is in your interest." If we're supervising the children and happy, the children will be happy! Isn't that the children's best interest?? So, there is one obvious benefit to having a licensed family daycare instead of a Multiage or Group Centre!
    Im in BC and Thats so strange cause I asked my LO today generally the same thing and got a totally different answer. I was told I could have a friend over for coffee provided they were not left alone with the kids. I was also told if that friend had kids she could still come as long as I was within my limits. Id think that would go with a provider and her kids coming to visit as well. Funny how different LO's say different things. Maybe it is because Im family child care and your group?

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    Hi....I have had an inquiry about play dates and wondered if any of you had this experience or know someone who did. The question was related to the fact that I wrote (see above) that I used to have play dates and was inspected, and the Prov. allowed them...as long as they weren't too frequent. The same thing happened last year and I was told that they were forbidden (with the usual caveats re: numbers of children and adults we all discussed above). Am I the only one this happened to??? Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi. I can certainly understand your frustration and feelings of isolation when it comes to getting together with other care providers and the children they care for. If meeting at your daycare facility or a local park is not an option, why not meet somewhere like a local indoor rec centre or kiddies pool for some swim n play and caregiver chat time? Perhaps the local McDonald's, DQ or Burger King? They have play places and it makes for a great coffee and play time for care providers and their little ones? I hope this helps

I've never heard of a home daycare getting an inspection unless there was a formal complaint, or if the daycare is under an agency. If under an agency, a home visitor will come to visit your home daycare once a month, and never the same time/day of the week.

Nicole - I don't believe I would pass inspection as well! Like you I have the basic plug covers and such, but I treat my daycare as a home, and not a daycare center.

The problem I have for play dates is that there is no play ground in our subdivision, and there's nothing in walking distance. I don't feel safe enough driving my kids around town (and insurance goes up with having daycare kids in the car), so I can't even go to the ELC in town! There are two other providers in this subdivision but they are full; and I legally cannot walk onto the property just to say hi and have a quick chat! It's crazyness, and very lonely.

Now, our subdivision is under review for having a park to be built in the future, but it also depends on how much it's going to be, how many people are willing to help out, etc. If all goes well, it might take up to 3-4 years to have it finished!!!

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Andrea: I really feel for your situation! I know I do not like driving with the dc kiddies. I do because I love getting out of the house and doing different things. I have always been like that with daycare when I have had the opportunity.

A thought, don't know if it is possible ... is here we have lots of local parks but none have fences, and I don't use my back yard for the children. What I do with a bunch of other local caregivers is we meet at our local school yard. We have received permission from the principal that when the morning kindergarten class is let out at 11 that we are allowed to use the kindergarten play yard until 12 (15 min before the next class). It is awesome. I find the time restrictions limiting, but a fenced yard is so much safer than a non-fenced park.

Another thing we do a lot is a bunch of us get together in the spring and fall (when school is in) is we go for walks around the neighbourhood before we head to the park. I haven't been to kemptville so I don't know what options you may have, but even a quick 15 - 30 min walk with another caregiver might be nice
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

I have only heard of the rule through word of mouth ,however I currently care for 2 1 year olds another who will be 2 in June and 1 that will be 3 in may as well as another 1 year old starting next month.I have a friend with 2 year old twins that usually comes once a week for a playdate ,these rules are dumb and made by people sitting in a office chair looking to make rules.I would like these rule makers to take a walk in any of our shoes then see what they think of their rule.As for me i will continue to have my friend over !!

Nicole - thanks for the suggestion - it would be perfect if I lived right in town - because there are many parks there. But I live in Settlers' Grant (and the 3 subdivisions are not connected at all, and none have parks).

It's about a 5-10min drive into Kemptville. I drive with one little one (but she's more like a niece to me; family friends), but can't drive when I have the others. When I have the girl, we drive into Barfhaven :P to visit my sis and her boys, and into BC to visit my parents. But that happens once every second week, maybe once a week if I can get the car.

I suppose I should have also mentioned, hubby has the car, as we only have 1 vehicle! If I want the car, I have to drive him to work (only 5-10min), and then pick him up after work (5p.m.), then I have to eat, and teach dancing from 6-9 p.m.!!! Plans to have a second vehicle will come into play just while I become prego with my first!