Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Paying for a child's sick day

I'm looking for some advice on how to speak to a parent regarding illness. A few months ago the little boy I care for came down with the chicken pox. My kids had already been exposed so I guess mom thought she would still send him. She asked me if I wanted her to keep her son home and I said yes. When payday came around she asked if she owed me for the days her son was home with the chicken pox. I told her yes and said she wasn't sure if she did because I made the decision for her to keep him home. Now yesterday same scenario. Her son came with a leaky eye that throughout the day got yuckier and was clearly pink eye. She picked him up and asked if I wanted her to keep him home today and I said yes. Now I know she will ask me about today and if she owes. It wasn't confirmed pink eye but was pretty obvious from having dealt with it before that it was. How would you go about telling her? It is written in my contract that I don't take kids with pink eye but I hatealways having to bring it up. Our families have gotten somewhat close and I hate bringing up the contract because it makes it seem so ''cold'' for a lack of a better word.

Again, YOUR BUSINESS, YOUR RULES. If you don't use your backbone now, they'll walk all over you later, and it will get worse.

Bring out the contract that they signed. Period. Just look at her and don't say anything, but, you signed the contract, and this is what it states.

IF parents can't respect me and my daycare, then they get a strike. 3-strikes and they're gone here.

apples and bananas
    It almost sounds like a game she's playing, If she shows up next week and the boy is coughing with a fever is she going to say "do you want me to keep him home? " A sick day is a sick day. If your child has something that is "catchy" they are to keep them home. I'm sure your contract doesn't say they have to pay for all days they remove their child from care, but if you refuse them based on sickness you don't have to pay. Wow!

I appreciate the issue with bringing up the contract. That can be tough. At the end of the day, they knew what they were signing up for. Maybe instead of just pulling out the contract you can mention that you have these "policies" "rules" for the benefit of all the children.

Good luck, I'm not much help as I don't charge for kids sick days. I know, I'm getting crazy looks from everyone reading this. I have my reasons though.

Yeah I don't buy into that either. Of course you keep your sick kid home, especially if they have a freakin communicable disease. This is common sense. I am guessing that this woman is seeing how far she can push you. Do you have a sick policy in your contract? If not, do one up and get all parents to sign.

Outgoing
    I have it in my contract that parents pay for sick days and I list most but not all of the sickness that they cannot come to daycare ie: pink eye, vomiting etc and that they have to be symptom free for 24 hours...now...do they listen???? nope! I have 3 here today all with green discharge from their nose (which is in my contract that they can't be here with) and fevers that the parents admit to giving advil/tylenol for. Again, a fever is another symptom that has to be 24 hours free.

I should have turned them away at the door, and I should be calling parents to come and get them, I just hate having to do it. Its a total lack of respect on the parents part...plus I know then I'll have to deal with payment issues as I have a few who refuse to pay for days that their child is not here (ie sick days and stat holidays).

Trust me, listen to the lady who posted to stand your ground now, because they quite quickly learn to walk all over you and its so hard to take the power back once you've given it to them!

But what about suspected illnesses?? This boy's pink eye was not confirmed by a doctor. He had green puss coming out of both eyes. What if it turns out not to be pink eye? Would I still get paid? I'd be really surprised if it wasn't.
    Yes, I definitely need to get a stronger backbone! Easier said than done though for me. I really wish it wasn't like that.

Um YES. Green pus? Definitely an infection, and who's to know if it's contagious or not? She needs a doctor's note. I can't believe she'd even bring him like that.

It wasn't at that point when he came but throughout the day got worse. She said it was allergies. I don't think so! I know what I will have to say should she bring it up...I just hate it when parents make me whip out the contract.

Euphoric !
    In my contract it states any discharge coming from the eyes or ears is not permitted in daycare and yes they have to be symptom free for a min 24 hours before returning to care. I am more lax on the green runny noses as most of my kids would be absent 75% of the time. I have never seen so much green snot in my life as I get from a couple of my dcks. Fortunately all my parents are good about keeping their kids home when they are really bad. I also get paid up front for the following two weeks so not paying is not an option.

This is why it pays to be paid in advance - excuse the pun If she had paid in advance for the days booked and did not use them for whatever reason - too bad she had committed to them.

My contracts state:

Fees are due regardless of absenteeism / illness, inclement weather / acts of Nature beyond our control, when program is closed for public holidays or child is absent due to family vacation time. Unfortunately, part time families cannot make up absent days on another day. Fees are to be paid in advance of care in the amount according to your payment schedule.
    And under preventing illness ...

Children may not participate, and will be required to be temporarily removed, if any of the following diseases and/or symptoms develop:
    • Vomiting**
    • Diarrhea**
    • Fever over 101 F
    • Unexplained rash specially accompanied by fever.
    • Suspected communicable disease until seen by a Dr. and confirmed that further exclusion is not required.
    so the fact that she choose NOT to have his illness confirmed by the Dr in order to return 'earlier' is HER CHOICE ... she does not get to than turn around and say 'well you made him stay home so I am not paying'.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi